Window Pane Replacement Help - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to dgbehrends

Window pane replacement help

Hi and thanks for reading,
My house has enerpro double pane windows. They were put in either in late 2003 or early 2004 when the house was built. I bought the house in the fall of 2007. When I moved in one of the windows had a cloudiness in the window. I contacted the builder who said it was still under warrenty and gave me enerpro's contact information. Hal's millwork out of Minneapolis. They came out to replace the window once but brought the wrong sized window. Measure twice cut once comes to mind. I guess they only measured once. For the next 9 months they have not returned my phone calls about getting this window replaced. I'm very frustrated and will most likely need to install it myself. Now to my questions:
Are there any good guides out there for removing and installing double pain windows or can someone explain to me the procedure? The vinyl frames still look new so all I need to replace is the pane. Do I need any special tools? At this point I would prefer not to deal with enerpro at all, so can I go with any type/manufacturer of window pane? I suppose it has to be double pane and not triple.

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 12:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

keep calling tell them your to sue

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by strublesiding@optonline.n View Post
keep calling tell them your to sue
I've already told them that if they didn't call me back I would report them to the BBB. I guess they weren't too worried about that. I'm not big on making threats or getting lawyers involved though.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 AM   #4

you could just pull the sash out and bring it to a local glass company
Old 01-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

I would try to contact enerpro as well. If Hal's Millwork is having problems or even out of business, Enerpro may have another contractor nearby that can help you. If not, and the window tilts is, it is really easy to remove and you can take it to a glass company. Tilt the wildow down to 90 degrees, then lift up on either side to release it from the balance. Then you can place a piece of foam board, plywood, or cardboard into the opening during repair. If not, then it is a bit harder to remove the fixed pane of glass, and would really be best to be done by a glass company as you have to remove the glazing bead (preferrably without destrying it so that it can be reused) , then the IGU (the glass pack) wich is best done with a deglazing tool to avoid breaking the glass.
Since they are still under warranty, I would go with the Enerpro route first if possible.

EDIT: Just searched and found out that Hal's IS the manufacturer for Enerpro windows, so if they are not returning phone calls, I guess that is not an option.

Last edited by wrangler; 01-19-2009 at 07:03 AM.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #6

Not sure why they got it wrong the first time. Most manufacturers put stickers on each sash with all the details for that sash, when made, dimensions, type glass, grids, etc. Some cheapy manufacturers don't do that, not sure what yours are. If you can't get satisfaction from the installer, go directly to the manufacturer. Glass is usually guaranteed for at least 10 yrs for the problem you have, failed seal. Most are 20 yrs to life. Which is what some manufacturers should get for their cheap products.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #7

I should mention that these are crank out casement windows. I believe that Wrangler is correct. My googling also led me to believe that Hal's is both the manufacturer and installer. What they brought last time was just the glass pack (which I was calling the window pane). So it would be a matter of replacing the glass back in a vinyl window. It sounds like a would need a special tool and that it might take a skilled hand to avoid destroying the gasket. The builder gave me the warranty certificate and they have a 10 year warranty, assuming Hal's stays in business, which given the current economic environment is a big question mark. My opinion of these windows is not very high.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #8

there's an old saying ''The squeaky wheel gets the grease''You paid for a warranty you shouldnt give up so easy.Call,Email Write make a real pest of yourself find out who owns these companies contact them direct if you can.But if your not going to do that just call a local glass company thats been around a long time and have them fix it for you

if i install a widow and its defective my window manufacture sends me a whole new sash

Last edited by Tom Struble; 01-19-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

if you are going to replace it yourself check out this guide and the accompanying podcast..
http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/32/e...7-broken-glass
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,274

Try discussing it with the builder. The builder should be doing the legwork on this.

If no resolution definitely follow up with BBB. Do any of your local news stations have a consumer guy that does stories about local consumer issues with businesses? Having a news crew show up usually provides incentive for a business to fix things to make the cameras go away.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #11

It had been about 4-5 months since I had last tried calling the maker of Enerpro Windows, Hals Millwork, and this time the phone was disconnected. I called a local distributor and he confirmed that they had gone out of business. So now I'll have to have a new low-e glass pack made by a local glass company.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #12

I contacted and hired out a local glass company to replace the window. Turns out they have been doing many of the enerpro window replacements in my area. They were very reasonable and charged $140 for a 2x5 casement window pane including install,tax, everything. The window has a 20year warranty. No more fogginess, I'm as happy as a clam
Old 04-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

I'd send a bill to Hal's.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
I'd send a bill to Hal's.
If I knew where to send it to I would. They are now out of business. Most likely they will reform as a new entity. This is a common theme in the builder community is it not?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:06 AM   #15

I contacted and hired out a local glass company to replace the window. Turns out they have been doing many of the enerpro window replacements in my area. They were very reasonable and charged $140 for a 2x5 casement window pane including install,tax, everything. The window has a 20year warranty. No more fogginess, I'm as happy as a clam

Advertisement