Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #1

Share |

will painting my oak baseboard reduce the value of my home?

the title says it all, I am in the process of remodeling my house, and have refinished all the oak floors with clear water based polyurethane.

initially i wanted to paint all the oak trim white. (the walls are a mocha/coffee color) to really make everything pop.

BUT, everyone in my family has been telling me its a cardinal sin to paint oak trim, especially the old thick baseboard that is in my house since you cannot buy it anymore.

personally, i think that is just too much wood for the house, but the most important thing to me is resale!
so, back to the title.... will it effect the value of the house one way or the other?? any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

braedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #2

Leave it alone. It's solid wood trim. A potential buyer will appreciate it and understand it's paintable.

LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:58 AM   #3

IMO Leave it alone/Well not entirely.I would give it a coat of Polyurethane or Varnish.That would be a great thing to do for that tight grained Oak baseboard.It would be making a definitive line between the floor and wall........................

If your really wanting to paint it,first I would get a piece of Oak trim and paint it the color you want it to be.Then line it up to the wall and see if it is some thing you really want to do.That way your not
committed to some thing that will be a ugly job to fix.

Last edited by mark942; 03-07-2008 at 04:05 AM.
mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

3rd vote: Leave it.

If anything, consider changing your paint schemes, to better "work" with the wood, to bring the charm of such craftmanship and design out - tastefully.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #5

It would for ME. I think painted trim is butt ugly. Would take it out and replace it with nice varnished oak ANY day!! Oak doesnt really dent or marr too much so it SHOULD be in great shape!! saw on tv how they really clean it up and make it look NEW,,,now I forgot!!
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #6
Custom Cabinet Maker

Painting oak trim is one of the original sins!!!!!!!!! Since resale is so important I will guarantee that if you do paint it you WILL DEVALUE this house. To those that hunt for this rare trim and then find it painted you will lose thousands of dollars in resale value and many potiental buyers will walk on bye
IMHO
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #7

wow!

thanks for all the input guys, I guess I know my answer!!
I will be keeping it the original finish. so the floors and baseboard will be coated with water based Polyurethane. (well the floors already have been done!) I think if it was any other trim I would go with white, but since the high quality thick oak is a find in itself I will try to showcase it!

thanks again for the input. I havent looked if you can post pictures, but if you can I will try to put some up.

-Brady
Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #8

one more question...

since I am leaving the baseboard clear (covered with water poly)
would it look weird to have white crown moulding??
I was also thinking about replacing alll the doors (which are wood grained hollow core ones at the moment, but are super orange and need to be redone) with white six panel doors.

any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #9

I think you've been watching HGTV too much. Your goal shouldn't be to increase the price of the house as much as possible, it shoud be to profit as much as you can from the sale. If your house is worth 300,000.00 in a 300,000.00 neighborhood, you're good to go.

Curb appeal is one thing, but slapping in every recent trendy cookie cutter improvement isn't going to fool anyone with 1/2 a brain.

If the house has refinished floors, fresh paint and is "turn key," that is, nothing looks "neglected" or in immediate need of attention or investment, then you are at the point where nothing you add is going to increase the value of the home more than that additional work is going to cost you.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #10

hmm, yes. that makes good sense...

its hard to know when enough is enough when improving things in the house!!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
I blame ProWallGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by braedo View Post

Ten good ways to tell you're overdoing the DIY thing as far as home improvements.

1) The guy at the paint store knows more about your husband and his shortcomings than your hair dresser.

2) You're planning a nursery and you and your husband have been retired empty-nesters for 15 years now.

3) You want to install crown moulding in the outbuilding because you're afraid the chickens you bought from Martha Stewart Living might be ashamed of their home without it.

4) You find yourself saying, "Go for the Hilti. No one every regretted buying a Hilti" to the guy shopping for a screw gun at the local Home Depot.

5) You have an extra garbage disposer because your husband insisted on having one for each bowl of the sink before you could stop him.

6) You traded your minivan in for a Ford F250 Crew Cab pick-up because you needed a truck with some ass and a ladder rack.

7) You find yourself dissing the guy fixing the roof next door because he has a pancake compressor while yours is a twin-bore hot dog that will run on 120/240V.

8) Your coil-nail gun is bigger than his.

9) Hasn't that dumb sumbeetch ever heard of toe-boards?

and my all time favorite....

10) You buy a new leather tool belt to wear for your husband on your anniversary night instead of a peek-a-boo teddy.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by braedo View Post

Which is how so many people got burned trying to "flip this house." You can't just dump a mess of improvements into a house and expect 100% or better return.