Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #1

Share |

Whole house remodel Help Requested

I am getting ready to start working on moving my small kitchen from a 9x6 area in the house and move it to a 12x12 room so i'll be needing to move the water pipes, the drain pipe the gas line, and the water line for the frig.
My question is what is the best way to move them? I have tile on the floor now so should i go through the wall cavity or through the tile? the next question i have is what it the easiest way to hang upper cabinets? I only ask because i only have 1 arm to do all the work that will take me at least 2 years to do, lol if not longer. My frig is leaking where it is at and has been for a little bit now (about 2 months) so i'm sure the wood under it is starting to rot because it's starting to lean backwards what is the best way to repair any water damage done to the support beams under the frig and sink now. Any good advice will be greatly wanted and appreciated. Thank you , warren michigan

mrhook65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

It is really up to you. First thing is to draw up plans and file with the city, so that the next person who comes along, and needing the info on how stuff was ran, can find that info out on the filed work at the local AHJ.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #3

as Greg suggested above, you should develop a plan (simple sketch to start with) and go see your local building department to inquire about code requirements, and what you are allowed to do as a home owner. Most locations require someone qualified and licensed (at least in my experience) to install gas lines as small leaks turn into big problems.

do you have a basement, might be easier to re-route piping in basement and then come up inside a wall. water piping in an exterior wall is never a good idea, especially with Michigan winters.

in my area we install plywood on kitchen walls to receive cabinets. always sure to be able to screw into wood this way. may want to invent some friends over to give you some assistance.

a few photos would help in getting more direct advise.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

your best bet is to open things up first to expose the pipes and wires then bring in the corresponding trades to deal with it. the pros deal with it everyday and can make quick and neat work of it
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
your best bet is to open things up first to expose the pipes and wires then bring in the corresponding trades to deal with it. the pros deal with it everyday and can make quick and neat work of it
In many and increasing numbers of places you will have to bring in licensed electricians and plumbers for this anyhow.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote