Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Yeah, I'll do it myself.

Rewards Points: 10

Where do you spend remodeling money?

I've been shopping mostly local places to get supplies, hardware stores and lumber, plus a few salvage places for the occasional fixer-upper item. But my husband and I got a handful of gift cards this season for places we never go (we actually got a Baby Gap gift card, and I am not currently pregnant nor do we have any offspring!! this was either a not-so-subtle hint or a momentary lapse of reason), so I'm thinking I can exchange them online on Craigslist or a site like leveragecard for something more useful, like Home Depot or Bed Bath and Beyond (although we're not quite at the "decoration" stage yet: almost, though). What's a good chain to shop at for this kind of material, if you must?

mandisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I prefer Lowes over Home Depot. In my opinion, they seem to have better customer service than HD.

ACobra289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

We are remodeling our home. Lowes and home depot for basic stuff. I shop at several different home depots between my home and work. Service level varies store to store. They carry basic, middle of the road materials. To me it seems that HD is a little less expesive.

We went to specialty stores for stuff like:
Big lumber loads for framing
tile
cabinets
roofing material
lighting
windows
Entry doors
plumbing fixtures
steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Oldguy

Rewards Points: 250

The Big Box stores are convienent for 1 stop shopping. Be leery about any advice given there. Generally good prices on in stock merchandise, but out of line on special orders. I prefer Lowes hands down over HD, Prices are very close between the two. They both offer price match less 10% on like items. IMNTBHO

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 536

Lowes for electrical and plumbing. We use Ben Moore paints and Olympia tile from a distributor. All the rest comes from a small local lumber yard. Prices are equivalent to the box stores and their material is great. You don't have to spend time picking through piles, just order and pay at the counter and drive around the yard.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

My wife and I just finished our basement. We worked on it for about 6 1/2 months and made numerous trips to Lowes and HD. I found that for the small basic stuff its a good deal to go to the box stores. But for the lumber, trim, nails/screws, drywall, paint, etc. shop around at your local hardware and supply stores....hidden deals are to be had. I got free delivery of my drywall (50 sheets of 4x8) from my local supply store during an aniversary special. And my local ACE hardware store had a better price on some screws and fasteneres than at the box stores. If I had to choose though, I would go with Lowes over HD. HD is, in my opinion, horrible in service, but it does vary from store to store.
DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

In our small town, we can't be too picky. Home Depot (Home Dopey as my 3 year old granddaughter calls it.) is the only large DIY retailer within 45 miles. So, our still on going bathroom remodel has seen me make many trips to HD. The advice I receive at times is not the best. HD charges a flat delivery fee of $59. This is high, but can be worth it if you are purchasing a cast-iron tub and it is damaged when received. Like DIY4EVER, I use an independent lumber yard for many items, such as, drywall and lumber, for the simple reason that they deliver for free. The cost is not that much more; especially, if you deduct the delivery charge.

I also like Lowes. They seem to have a larger variety of items than HD.

Bed, Bath and Beyond is great for housewares.

Last edited by Handyman50; 01-16-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Handyman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:37 AM   #8
DIY Expert in Training!

Rewards Points: 250

I've compared pricing at HD and Lowes...HD is significantly cheaper in regards to lumber, tools, and plumbing supply. I only go to Lowes for decorative items. I was told by a Lowes employee that they are targeted towards women. That is why they try to be cleaner and have decorative/pretty things.
gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Yeah, I'll do it myself.

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks to all for the thorough responses. Sadly, I haven't been able to locate a Lowe's in the area, but I think I probably have a better chance at a Home Depot swap on leveragecard anyhow...then again we do have multiple gift cards, so there's multiple options there. Does anyone know if Lowe's delivers, what that service is like...?

mandisaur is offline   Reply With Quote