Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2011, 01:12 AM   #1

Share |

Where to buy kitchen cabinets?

We are planning to replace some kitchen cabinets, and want to decide where to buy them from. We've been looking at cabinets in Ikea. Does anyone have any opinions as to where to buy cabinets? We really can't go expensive, but we don't want to buy crap either.

Thanks
darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #2

I've heard some other people liked ikea too. Which Ikea brands did you like?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
DIY staff

I looked at Cabinets to go a while back----they looked like better quality than the average--Plywood boxes and interesting doors----worth a look---(they are 'ready to assemble')
Old 10-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
I've heard some other people liked ikea too. Which Ikea brands did you like?
If they're Ikea brands, they're all made by Ikea. Pick a style you like, they're all made the same.
Personally, I'd stick with 1/2" ply carcasses and stay away from flakeboard and melamine.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #5

As a general rule... I avoid IKEA at almost any cost. That being said, there are LOTS of places that mass produce pre-made cabinets that you can google online and find a warehouse of. Just do a search for premanufactured cabinets, or something along those lines. They'll probably be of higher quality, greater selection and just a little more expensive, but last way longer.. Of course, I also typically overengineer and build my own :P
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

I got mine from Lowe's they are Kraftmaid, not cheap but not expensive either. They fit my house that I have put way too much $$ in. I just gutted my kitchen top to bottom.
Before

After

Last edited by JohninSC; 10-25-2011 at 08:27 PM.
JohninSC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohninSC For This Useful Post:
Snav (10-26-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #7

They're called, Kraftmaid.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninSC View Post
I got mine from Lowe's they are Craftmade, not cheap but not expensive either. They fit my house that I have put way too much $$ in. I just gutted my kitchen top to bottom.
Before

After
That's pretty nice looking. I like the color combos. Then again, I'm not used to seeing hardwood flooring in kitchens, which I think is really nice looking.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
They're called, Kraftmaid.
Lol I did butcher the hell out of that.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Newly Retired

I have used Ikea in our kitchen remodel 8 years ago and was really impressed with them. They all went together fine and I like their hanging system for the uppers. We have sold that place and are just going to start a remodel of the kitchen in our new place and I will be putting in Ikea again. The only thing with them is it take a little time to assemble them but if you have the time you can save yourself a lot of money. Dollar for dollar they are the best I found and their slides and hinges never failed or sagged.
tuchodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #11

Are those countertops granite? Did you install those yourself?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
Military Mom of 4

Quote:
We are planning to replace some kitchen cabinets, and want to decide where to buy them from. We've been looking at cabinets in Ikea. Does anyone have any opinions as to where to buy cabinets? We really can't go expensive, but we don't want to buy crap either.

Thanks
When it came time to do our kitchen I realized that what I always wanted wasn't affordable (at all - like 10K for what I wanted) because I wanted some unique features that just aren't traditional.

I'm building my own.

It's been rewarding but worth it so far. . . you can consider it. At least or a few unique elements to have.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuchodi View Post
I have used Ikea in our kitchen remodel 8 years ago and was really impressed with them. They all went together fine and I like their hanging system for the uppers. We have sold that place and are just going to start a remodel of the kitchen in our new place and I will be putting in Ikea again. The only thing with them is it take a little time to assemble them but if you have the time you can save yourself a lot of money. Dollar for dollar they are the best I found and their slides and hinges never failed or sagged.
I apologize. I didn't mean to say everything they have is terrible. I just have bad experiences with them. Also, I build my own and they're kind of built to last, high end hinges etc. I just prefer alternate methods. I've also had bad luck with other pre-built places and building custom cabinetry seems to throw any possible margin of error on myself which I can easily deal with and fix. Good luck tho!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
Newly Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyarch View Post
I apologize. I didn't mean to say everything they have is terrible. I just have bad experiences with them. Also, I build my own and they're kind of built to last, high end hinges etc. I just prefer alternate methods. I've also had bad luck with other pre-built places and building custom cabinetry seems to throw any possible margin of error on myself which I can easily deal with and fix. Good luck tho!
No apology necessary my Dad used to build cupboards from scratch and they lasted forever but I didn't inherit his skill set so I have bought both Kraftmaid and Ikea and I found no real difference between them except for the price and the Ikea ones you have to put together yourself so that takes quite a bit more time.
tuchodi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tuchodi For This Useful Post:
scyarch (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Are those countertops granite? Did you install those yourself?
Yes they are granite but that was the only thing I wasn't going to install myself.