Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:21 AM   #1

Share |

What size recessed light do you prefer?

We need to decide on which size recess lighting to use for our kitchen and living room. Our kitchen is 10 x 15 ft (those tiny California ranch house built half a century ago, thus the tiny kitchen ), living room is 26 x 15 ft.

larger sizes such as 6" will be more efficient in illumination. However, both me and my wife think those 3" or 4" looks a lot better. We are pretty neutral to either one now.

6" not good looking, but bright
3" good looking, but not bright.

thus, I'd like to see what you guys think. What size cans do you put in your kitchen and living room?
htabbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
Busy DIYer

Combination of 6" & 5".
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #3

They all have a place. It depends on what you are lighting. Most lighting manufacturers have a selection guide somewhere in their catalog.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #4

Larger light offer better general illumination, while smaller ones provide more localized light. While the bigger lights are...bigger, you'll need fewer of them to achieve the same amount of light.

I think it is really a matter of what character of lighting you want rather than what you want your ceiling to look like.

I'm redoing our kitchen/dining/family room right now and I've put in 6" lights through out and a few smaller eyeball wall washers. I wanted more light and fewer lights.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #5

don't get 3" or 4". Way too dim. They are meant for accent lighting, not so good for general lighting. My friend has 4" in his kitchen and living room. I took a look at his setup for ideas when I did my renovation. He regrets getting such small lights. I had the same dilemma as you. I like the look of smaller lights. I ended up using 5" in the kitchen, 6" in the living room. It is much much better. Put dimmers on it, and you have the option of dimmer light when you want it.

For what's its worth, I did use 4" around the perimeter of the dining room to light up the walls. It complements the center chandelier over the table.
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Depends on what kind of light source. Small halogens give off lots of light and are a fraction of the size of fixtures that hold more traditional bulbs. I think the canisters look more in scale with small kitchens. Heat is the issue to a point.

Have you looked at "wire type" track lighting? The wires almost disappear. The lights float on the track wherever you want them.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
In a little over my head

I just had to make the same decision. I ended up with 6". More light, more trim options, and the cans cost less.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by htabbas View Post
We need to decide on which size recess lighting to use for our kitchen and living room. Our kitchen is 10 x 15 ft (those tiny California ranch house built half a century ago, thus the tiny kitchen ), living room is 26 x 15 ft.

larger sizes such as 6" will be more efficient in illumination. However, both me and my wife think those 3" or 4" looks a lot better. We are pretty neutral to either one now.

6" not good looking, but bright
3" good looking, but not bright.

thus, I'd like to see what you guys think. What size cans do you put in your kitchen and living room?
The size of the can is secondary to the amount of light the room needs. The smaller the can, the lower wattage bulb.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The size of the can is secondary to the amount of light the room needs. The smaller the can, the lower wattage bulb.
Careful. A tiny low watt halogen will kick out as many lumens as some large incandescent floods.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote