Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Question

What is the recommended order for doing these upgrades?


We are going to be updating our living room and bedrooms in the coming months but I'm trying to figure out the order of operations.

Here are the things we are going to do
Can Lights (Living Room & Hallway)
Windows (Living Room & Bedrooms)
Paint Walls & Ceiling (Living Room, Hallway, and Dining Room)
Hardwood floors (Living Room, Hallway, and Dining Room)
Carpet (Bedrooms)
Baseboards (Living Room, Hallway, Dining Room, and Bedrooms)



Input is appreciated.


Last edited by tomas21; 08-12-2008 at 12:49 PM.
tomas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

What is the recommended order for doing these upgrades?


I'd do the electrical and windows first. Then paint. Then carpet. Then I'd have the hardwood installed and finished. After that is done, then I'd install the baseboard and base shoe.

My logic is to protect the new floor materials by getting as much done as possible before they go in. Paint touch-ups will probably be required after everything is done (sweat marks, scratches, etc).

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

What is the recommended order for doing these upgrades?


Can Lights (Living Room & Hallway) - Do first, if ceilings are damaged, they can be fixed before painting.

Windows (Living Room & Bedrooms) - (Do also before painting). If walls are damaged, they too, can be fixed prior to paintwork.

Carpet (Bedrooms) - Do prior to hardwood in areas listed below. Why? - The carpet-installer-traffic, etc, will be going thru the homes main areas to get to the bedrooms. New hard wood flooring, "could" get "roughed-up".

Hardwood floors (Living Room, Hallway, and Dining Room) - Do after the above, but before baseboards.

Baseboards (Living Room, Hallway, Dining Room, and Bedrooms) - Install after hardwood, to allow required hardwood flooring expansion gaps, against walls, to be hidden.

Paint Walls & Ceiling (Living Room, Hallway, and Dining Room) - Do last. Why? When installing floors, carpet, etc...your walls and ceilings - WILL (this is a fact), - be banged up with dents, gouges, scrapes, etc.
If you paint prior, you will be spackling, priming, and repainting ALOT of areas, all over again. Paint walls and ceilings last, using drop clothes or craft paper effectively.

Paint baseboard and moldings prior to installation - "Touch them up" after.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-13-2008 at 06:12 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 64
Rewards Points: 75
Default

What is the recommended order for doing these upgrades?


my way:

lights
windows
hardwood(tape cardboard down to protect, hold people accountable)
baseboards & I would shoe the hardwood as well
paint
carpet(I don't like to do too much painting over carpet...especially ceilings)
dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

What is the recommended order for doing these upgrades?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dhag View Post
my way:

lights
windows
hardwood(tape cardboard down to protect, hold people accountable)
baseboards & I would shoe the hardwood as well
paint
carpet(I don't like to do too much painting over carpet...especially ceilings)
The rooms that will be getting carpet have already been painted about 4 months ago. The rooms getting painted will be the ones getting hardwood floors (Living room, dining room, and hallway).

I appreciate everyone's input!
tomas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

What is the recommended order for doing these upgrades?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas21 View Post
The rooms that will be getting carpet have already been painted about 4 months ago. The rooms getting painted will be the ones getting hardwood floors (Living room, dining room, and hallway).

I appreciate everyone's input!
In that case, paint the hardwood rooms first, but still be prepared for dings and dents to touch up.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

What is the recommended order for doing these upgrades?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
In that case, paint the hardwood rooms first, but still be prepared for dings and dents to touch up.
So your updated order would be this? Out of curiosity why would you recommend painting the hardwood floor rooms first?

1. Can Lights (Living Room & Hallway)

2. Windows (Living Room & Bedrooms)

3. Carpet (Bedrooms)

4. Paint Walls & Ceiling (Living Room, Hallway, and Dining Room)

5. Hardwood floors (Living Room, Hallway, and Dining Room)

6. Baseboards (Living Room, Hallway, Dining Room, and Bedrooms)
tomas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

What is the recommended order for doing these upgrades?


I am sorry, I did not mean to state that you should do them "first" (before other areas). What I meant is, that you should paint those rooms prior to the hardwood flooring install. When ever you can "group" work together (to be done at the same time)... You save money (if hiring out) and you save time (Both: if you are hiring out, and also if you are doing the paint work yourself).

In this context; if the walls in the rooms to have hardwood floors, are painted first, you will be able to get the "brunt" and "scope" of the paint work done, prior to the flooring install.

That means that the majority of the paint splatters will be "splashed around" before the flooring is installed.

Now, on the other hand, when the flooring is installed, as stated earlier, you will, MOST DEFINTELY, have gouges, dents, and dings. However, you can put a drop clothe down, and take care of these areas, even after the flooring is in.

Maybe I "miss-spoke" from a GC stand point when I stated to "paint last"...simply because we have painters to be able to lay out "floor-coverings" and perform the required spackling (touch-up) and paint...and it is no big deal...from our perspective.

From a DIY standpoint, it would seem better to paint first...then do the touch-ups after.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas21 View Post
So your updated order would be this? Out of curiosity why would you recommend painting the hardwood floor rooms first?

1. Can Lights (Living Room & Hallway)

2. Windows (Living Room & Bedrooms)

3. Carpet (Bedrooms)

4. Paint Walls & Ceiling (Living Room, Hallway, and Dining Room)

5. Hardwood floors (Living Room, Hallway, and Dining Room)

6. Baseboards (Living Room, Hallway, Dining Room, and Bedrooms)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-13-2008 at 09:27 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

What is the recommended order for doing these upgrades?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
I am sorry, I did not mean to state that you should do them "first" (before other areas). What I meant is, that you should paint those rooms prior to the hardwood flooring install. When ever you can "group" work together (to be done at the same time)... You save money (if hiring out) and you save time (Both: if you are hiring out, and also if you are doing the paint work yourself).

In this context; if the walls in the rooms to have hardwood floors, are painted first, you will be able to get the "brunt" and "scope" of the paint work done, prior to the flooring install.

That means that the majority of the paint splatters will be "splashed around" before the flooring is installed.

Now, on the other hand, when the flooring is installed, as stated earlier, you will, MOST DEFINTELY, have gouges, dents, and dings. However, you can put a drop clothe down, and take care of these areas, even after the flooring is in.

Maybe I "miss-spoke" from a GC stand point when I stated to "paint last"...simply because we have painters to be able to lay out "floor-coverings" and perform the required spackling (touch-up) and paint...and it is no big deal...from our perspective.

From a DIY standpoint, it would seem better to paint first...then do the touch-ups after.
Thanks for the clarification... I'm going to be hiring out the entire job so it looks like I should group the jobs together to maximize time & save some money (Can lights, windows, carpet), then (paint), then (hardwood floors), then (baseboards), and then (touch-up paint). I may do the windows myself and prep work on the walls but we will see.

tomas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing tile and wood- what order? red shoes Flooring 7 05-08-2008 05:34 PM
Need help with permit/city got a Stop Work Order. amdspitfire General DIY Discussions 39 02-07-2008 02:45 PM
What order 4 bst results shotdown Painting 6 06-27-2007 09:19 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.