What Else Do I Need To Pay For In Kitchen Remodeling? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
sil

Rewards Points: 25

What else do I need to pay for in kitchen remodeling?

I have been given a quote for kitchen remodeling which includes all new cabinets, sink, and granite for the counter with full backsplash which means granite will run from the counter to the base of the wall cabinet. Price given included materials and installation and demolition.
I was told that no electrical will be damaged in the demolition but some parts of the drywall would have holes as I have existing backsplash made of ceramic tiles. Is this possible for a demolition. He said don't worry about small holes in the drywall as the granite will cover it. Is this true?
There may or may not be tiles beneath the existing cabinets but they said don't worry as they will have shimmy board (?) to level the new base cabinets. Is this true?
I will need to pay $350 for a plumber who he knows can connect my dishwasher, faucet and garburator. If I have a duct, he would connect the hood free of charge. I will be buying a gas stove from a company which would give me free delivery and hook up. I will need to buy a faucet, garburator, fridge and stove.
Is there anything I am missing that may go wrong or that I may need to pay?

Advertisement

Last edited by sil; 11-11-2007 at 12:01 AM.
sil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
....I was told that no electrical will be damaged in the demolition but some parts of the drywall would have holes as I have existing backsplash made of ceramic tiles. Is this possible for a demolition.
Yes

Quote:
He said don't worry about small holes in the drywall as the granite will cover it. Is this true?
Yes

Quote:
There may or may not be tiles beneath the existing cabinets but they said don't worry as they will have shimmy board (?) to level the new base cabinets. Is this true?
Yes

Quote:
I will need to pay $350 for a plumber who he knows can connect my dishwasher, faucet and garburator. If I have a duct, he would connect the hood free of charge. I will be buying a gas stove from a company which would give me free delivery and hook up. I will need to buy a faucet, garburator, fridge and stove.
Is there anything I am missing that may go wrong or that I may need to pay?
Sounds like a lot is being covered. I can't necessarily tell you that you are or are not missing something regarding "your" kitchen remodel.
But some things to take into consideration are:

Trash/debris - What happens to it, who pays?
If there are more holes in the drywall - Will he include the repairs with the job. (Whether the contractor says no additional holes doesn't mean that something will not damage another area during demolition.)
Are any permits being pulled and if so, are the permit costs included in the price?
Clean up - What condition will he leave your home and property in?
Flooring?
Time frame?
Will he make sure that all connected areas are properly 'tied-into' the new work. (It's a fact that it can be hard to foresee all the additional work of "melding" the areas around an installation seamlessly with the new work.)
Paintwork of any kind?
If it is a full backsplash, will it be going over the electrical outlets? Will the contractor have to add spacers to the electrical boxes?
Are the drawer pulls and cabinet knobs included in the work quote? Did you pick them out?
What kind of cabinets are they? The material and construction?
What kind of granite top? Solid or remnants?
Will you have the ability to go and pick out the granite slab that you want used? (Most granite companies allow that)

Do not forget to get a written contract that also stipulates the warranty of the work. Proof of insurance, Workmans Comp, licensing, state or town registrations, etc...

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 11-11-2007 at 08:07 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
sil

Demolition is included in the price.
I am responsible for any damage to the wall that needs fixing.
I am responsible for any permit but doubt I need it as I am replacing the existing cabinets , counter and sink.Plumbing and electrical stay as they are.
Not re-flooring because I like my ceramic tile floors.
He said before he even starts I need to look for someone to do drywall repair and have the place painted. He will order the cabinets first and then when he does the demolition I would have someone to come in and fix the place up with painting and patching if necessary. Then he would do the installation of the cabinets, counter and put the hood up for me.
One question, doesn't this house need a duct? Because above my stove is a microwave with an exhaust.
He said he would cut the granite around the electrical outlets. Not sure about any spacer stuff.
Knobs and pulls are included and I choose them out.
Cabinets will be made of solid birch and shaker style. He had measured everything and sent me pictures of the new designs. There are 5 choices of cabinets to choose from and I chose one at his store already.
Not sure if granite is solid or remnants but it is the middle price for the granite and I get to choose it. Low price is from China, mid-price is from Brazil. He quoted me 6 slabs of granite
I forgot to ask him if the lst slab of granite would have the 6inch slab by the sink then another slab added above it. What do you think?
What is remnant?
Only thing that need connection are my appliances. He said there is a store he knows that I can buy a gas stove and it would be free delivery and installation. Refridgerator would just be plugging it in the outlet. Dishwasher , faucet and garburator installation would be done by a plumber for $350. This is the one he recommends for his customers.

The man for the bid is not a contractor. He buys the cabinets and granite counter and sinks. He installs them and does the demolition.

What do I need to know about the type of granite I choose? Are there bad quality ones? How can I tell? This is the mid-price range one from Brazil.

Last edited by sil; 11-11-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Sil. Are you still undecided about what you are going to do to your kitchen? When I came over, you wanted a price for refacing. I started to price that out for you and I saw your next thread about just getting new doors and painting the cabinet cases. I e-mailed you about that. If you are now interested in a full remodel, I can come back and do my own measuring and put together a proposal. I have a good source on cabinets and granite countertops, and I can handle ALL of the work that needs to be done. From demo, disposal od debris, drywall repair, plumbing, painting. I am licensed and I carry workers comp. If this other guy is not licensed, he would be breaking the law to do any work on your house that totals more tham $500 in labor and materials. Not trying to pressure you in any way, I just want to help you get the best results possible for your budget. If you are now thinking of a complete kitchen remodel, I have pictures, references, and (I think) reasonable prices. I do very high quality work and am very easy to work with. If you are not interested, just say the word and I will go away.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
sil

I have two free estimates with a kitchen design already but if you would like to be the 3rd and final bid, then give me a call. Do you still have my phone number? Both people that gave me bids are licensed in CA. I checked them out already.
Refacing wasn't worth it after all after I got 2 good prices for new cabinets, sink and full backsplash granite.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:47 AM   #6
PK.

I own a custom cabinet shop and we also cut and install granite, soapstone and marble out of my shop. (Although I'm in the process of doing away with any residential work, except for a couple of designers, as furniture has more of an appeal to me)

On the granite, is it 2cm or 3cm? Does it have a substrate? On 2cm you have to have a substrate. On 3cm, some installers use a substrate, some don't. Whe you say it's from Brazil, is it a Brazilian stone, like Uba Tuba or Santa Cecilia? Generally the granite from China is shipped to China from other countries and cut there. There isn't really a bad granite, although there are bad slabs and of course there is bad workmanship.

Remnant granite is using the cutoffs from full slabs. This isn't practical on a full kitchen because of the color and texture variation.

If you have a fresh air exhaust, the hood will have to be ducted. Around here, HVAC guys do that mostly in my experience.

When we install any cabinets where the finished floor doesn't go all the way to the wall, we add plywood to raise the floor to the same level as the finished floor. If you don't, then you will lose space under your toekicks and in many situations moisture can be a problem.
PK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sil said: 'He quoted me 6 slabs of granite"
That's alot of granite. As each slab is about 60 sq feet. Even with a backsplash.
How many base cabinets do you have? Can you post the plan?
I would reevaluate the electric if this kitchen hasn't been remodeled in the last 10 years or so. I have never done a kitchen where the electric was not upgraded.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 11-12-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

There is no possible way that kitchen uses 6 slabs. He must be talking about pre-fab sections. It's a 1 slab kitchen..MAYBE 2 with the full height backsplashes.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
sil

Each slab is 110 x 26.

Advertisement