DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What do YOU think of this HARDI siding deal??

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Ron6519 
#1 ·
I visited an old friend after poring my concrete today,,,he deals in closeout odd lot stuff,,,some cheap,some NOT So cheap.

He was telling me he has a LOT of hardi board siding that are 16" wide and 12' long pieces. The rub is 8" of width is full of holes like premade for soffit vents etc.,,,other 8" of width is plain and NO holes etc.

The theroy here is to install it IF possible with the good 8" down and lap over the top holey stuff,,,for the 8" reveal(is that the right word??). Here is the "DEAL". It is going to 'cost' me about $1 a 12' board. This makes it about $12.50 a square,,,using the 8" figure as good covered.

The OTHER suggested way is to run this ALL thru a table saw and cutting the hole part,wasteage OFF and just using the good half of the width, guess it wouldnt cover as much then,probably a 6" lap reveal then.(right?) and ALOT of cutting required.

My question IS...why cut it off,,,what harm would the extra 8" underneath good siding cause?? Or would THIS screw up something bad enough to cause problems???leaks?? What do 'YOU' think of this stuff???

I have never used ANY hardi board ever,,,I am just a diy'er with not that much experience with SEVERE arthritis,,,can somebody LIKE me install this myself?? Any speedy tricks of the trade to get it straight and keep it straight??:yes:

Was thinking of taking off all OLD siding, and repair any random 1 bye sheating problems underneath, wrapping in tyvek,,first replacing windows as required to either Gerkins replacements single hungs or_______???,,,knocking that drip edge off the bottom and side away,,,WHAT am I forgetting???How are outside and inside corners handled with this stuff??

Is this a gift horse I am looking in the mouth,,,or a dinosaur in hiding??? GOOD DEAL???Or tuck my tail and "RUN"??? Thanks for ANY replies--just don-- Looking for 'YOUR:eek: ' input!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Ron

But they are 12' long so never saw any 4X 12 sheets.

On another board a guy said this stuff 'MIGHT' be 1/4" thick vs 7'16 for regular stuff. had a name for it,,,it is made especially for soffits I guess.

Anyway said it 'might' work. My question remains,,,with the extra 8 inches getting lapped. What does this do to the next 16" board applied,,do I need 1/4 inch spacers behind top of top board? Or does this stuff bend a bit and can nail top and bottom?? IF its completely stiff the bottom 8" is going to hold top 8" off the sheathing a 1/4 inch,,,OR suck flat to sheathing AND make one heck of a crack underneath!!??(I dont explain well,sounds greek to ME too!!) Anyway,,,another way of saying it,,,does it,,will it bend a 1/4 " in 8 inches or so or is it going to make a bigger mess of something else???

Proper nailing methods?? I assume(dangerous I know) that you nail the topunderneath the next lap,,,do you face nail the bottom exposed area too,,or is this just suppose to 'hang'

Not using this material before,,,what is dimensions of regular stock hardi plank siding??

Thanks for trying to help the uneducated peons like me!!-just don-

#4 ·
This sounds like a mistake in the making.Best case scenario. You would need to rip these to a siding width. As you said, the overlap is too much for this siding to sit properly. And even if you rip it, to say, 8" and install it with a 7 1/2" exposure. The top of the siding, not being beveled, will kick out the botton of the siding installed on top, leaving you with a 1/4"+ gap.
This is not siding material and I don't know if you will ever make it look like it belongs in that context.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.