Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Share |
Default

We May Soon Be Moving And Need Upgrade Advice


Hello.

We put several thousand into a kitchen upgrade 4 years ago. Upgrades included Corian counters, SS sink, painting the cabinets and SS appliances. The floor is a wood laminate done 10 years ago and is faded and worn.

We live in a middle upper class development and plan to sell within the next 5-8 years as we are empty nester's in a two story 3,000 ft2 w/finished basement. The house is 19 years old and built to our specs. Windows, roof, furnace, AC, gutters and garage doors have been replaced over the last 2 years. The basement is finished with a rec area, workshop, tv room , full bath and office. We did a major upgrade to the master bathroom 2 years ago.

We are now wondering if we should upgrade the kitchen now or wait till just before putting the house on the market. Upgrades would include new hard wood floor, granite counter tops, tile back splashes and cabinets. Budget would be $25k.

So do we do it now (so we can enjoy it) or just before putting it on the market?

TIA for your feedback.

osudaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Default

We May Soon Be Moving And Need Upgrade Advice


Where are you located ?
Are you sure it will add value to your house ?
What's the housing market like where you are ?
Of course selling in 5-8 years hard to tell what will happen

If you have the $$ & want a new kitchen....I'd do it now

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Default

We May Soon Be Moving And Need Upgrade Advice


We live in northern Ohio. We do not know if the upgrades will add value to the house, thus the question.

Houses are selling here, but slow and with values decreasing 4% annually.

As you say, who knows what will happen in 5-8. We just want to be ready to jump when the market improves.

Our current kitchen is fine with us, just wanted to know if we should do the upgrade now or wait till the market improves and we are ready to put it on the market.

My instinct says to wait.
osudaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Default

We May Soon Be Moving And Need Upgrade Advice


With values going down right now in your area I would wait
Not sure if your floor could just be recoated/refinished
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,715
Default

We May Soon Be Moving And Need Upgrade Advice


I'd be very surprised if the upgrades you are talking about would add 25 k to your home value. The upgrades sound to be all of durable materials. The floor may need sanding and refinishing in 5-8 years if it gets hard wear. Granite, tile etc you should be able to keep nice and new looking for that time.

I would suggest you do it now if your are going to do it anyway for two reasons: 1. It will be more expensive to do at your future date and 2. As I said, the materials will last.

You may as well enjoy it yourselves for a few years. Just try to stick to tratidional, rather that trendy styles and colors that may look dated in a few years time.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.