Want To Update Kitchen Cabinets - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Want to Update Kitchen Cabinets

Hello,

I just recently bought a house and the kitchen cabinets have an outdated finish on them and I would like to update them by giving them a new stain. They are in good condition, it's just the color is not my taste. What is the best way to go about changing the stain on them? I'm new to DIY projets but would like to try and tackle this in a cost effective way!

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated!

Advertisement

nikki1846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Craftster

Rewards Points: 77

Gel stain will be an easier fix than regular stain, you'd have to sand everything down to bare wood before staining all the doors, drawer fronts and cabinet faces/external sides; with gel stain you just clean the cabinets well (TSP is good for this) then just do a light scuff sand to rough up the finish and give the gel stain a better grip. Once you get them the tone you want, put on a couple coats of polyurethane to protect them.

I'd suggest you practice with the gel stain on some scrap wood to get a feel for it, it's sort of a mix between paint and stain (but much thicker than either), you can rub it on with an old clean cotton tube sock or use a brush but if you've never worked with it, practice some before tackling a big job like kitchen cabinets.

Advertisement

ghostlyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #3

but note that sanding the previous stain off of them will take a ridiculous amount of time, and hard work. Especially if the style of the doors are complex.
Toilet Bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
DIY-er

Rewards Points: 75

You could try painting them instead. It will save a lot of time and money and can look fabulous. Here is a picture of my kitchen cabinets that are painted particle board ..... http://home-additions-startup-guide.com/best-kitchen-decorating.html Just scroll down midway through the page.
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #5

Have you taken a look at

http://cabinets.rustoleumtransformations.com/

they indicate that you don't need to sand etc, (use liquid sand).

I would love to see how this comes out.

If you want to paint, treat yourself to a paint sprayer and use milk paint, give a lovely finish.

A
bilbos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #6

depending on the wood species, oak with deep grains is one of the toughest to refinish. 1st use TSP deglosser as mentioned above to remove the clearcoat sheen (follow mfg's instructions). I would recommend a solid stain with clear coat topcoat (made for food contact areas NOT poly) polyurethane is toxic and can contaminate food. Solid stain looks like paint but doesn't crack like paint from expansion and contraction of wood.
3rdGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Pictures are sort of mandatory for questions like this. Take some and post 'em here.

Consider removing the doors and having them professionally stripped and redone. This may be less expensive than you'd think, and would save you a lot of hassle. And, in theory, you'd end up with a better looking job. Then once the doors are off you could sand just the face frames of the cabinets and refinish them with the same look as the doors. You'd be less likely to notice DIY mistakes from inexperience on just the frames.

New knobs go a long way toward refreshing the look too. Using the same size/position of holes greatly simplifies the process. If you're going to have them painted then you could just fill the old holes and drill new ones. That wouldn't look as nice if you're planning on going with a stain.

Advertisement

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote