Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
DIY on the Brain

Rewards Points: 10

Want to avoid full demo on Small Bathroom - Need Advice

Thanks in advance for any advice...I've never worked much in the bathroom area (plumbing, tiling, etc) but have done some general/cosmetic enhancements around the house, and was hoping for some more experienced advice.

There is a round toilet with small stall shower separated form the 60" sink area with sliding closet door area by a pocket door.

My goal is to achieve an updated look/feel without breaking the bank and doing everything myself.

The stall shower and door are in good shape. The paint in the area is bubbling in some areas due to the previous owners not ventilating properly ( fixed with a $15 fan motor, took 15-20min )

Definitely want to replace the toilet, vanity, and laminate flooring with some tile.
Regarding the paint/walls, can I just scrape/sand down the old paint and then repaint/prime? Or do I have to replace the sheetrock too?

The current vanity is 60" wide, but only a single sink that's offset to the left. I would like to either have a single sink in the middle or dual sinks. The latter seems a little more complicated.

I really do appreciate any and all feedback/advice. I've been thinking about this bathroom for some time, but I figured it's about time to get my hands dirty.
Attached Thumbnails
Want to avoid full demo on Small Bathroom - Need Advice-dscf2028.jpg   Want to avoid full demo on Small Bathroom - Need Advice-dscf2029.jpg   Want to avoid full demo on Small Bathroom - Need Advice-dscf2036.jpg   Want to avoid full demo on Small Bathroom - Need Advice-dscf2034.jpg   Want to avoid full demo on Small Bathroom - Need Advice-dscf2042.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by BayIslandMike; 12-19-2011 at 01:50 AM.
BayIslandMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not sure what you want from us.......sounds like you have a plan.

Paint: make sure all the loose, bubbling paint is removed. If needed, skim coat with drywall mud for a smooth finish. Prime/paint.

From the pic, it looks like the plumbing is set up for a single center sink. Double sinks are not too difficult to connect to a single drain, supply.

Replaceing components is usually easy, once the old is out.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
DIY on the Brain

thanks Just Bill,

My main concern was that the professional recommendation would be to gut the bathroom entirely.

Also, I wasn't sure if scrapping/sanding the existing paint was the right long term solution. In case can't remove all the paint, I don't want it peeling off later on after repainting/priming over it.

I don't know if people can tell from the pics, but the existing drywall finish in the corners, and edges aren't the straightest...is it an easy fix with skim coat?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayIslandMike View Post
thanks Just Bill,

My main concern was that the professional recommendation would be to gut the bathroom entirely.

Also, I wasn't sure if scrapping/sanding the existing paint was the right long term solution. In case can't remove all the paint, I don't want it peeling off later on after repainting/priming over it.

I don't know if people can tell from the pics, but the existing drywall finish in the corners, and edges aren't the straightest...is it an easy fix with skim coat?
For what you are wanting to do, there is no reason to gut the entire bathroom. It just will take some planning and knowing what to do. You can paint over everything, and don't need to tear out the existing sheetrock. Just be sure to sand and remove all the loose stuff.
ws450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

No need to gut the bathroom unless there is a need to do so-mold, rot, electrical/plumbing issues. If you are looking for a cosmetic facelift, then you will be wasting money and time gutting the bathroom.

I'd just remove the vanity and toilet and flooring, check the subfloor for any rot, if the drywall is fine and dry and not water damaged, leave it and skim coat any rough areas, as mentioned. Paint, flooring, toilet and vanity, trim and your done.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
DIY on the Brain

you guys make it sound so easy

thanks for the advice...I checked all the shutoff valves and found them to be bad. Once I get those replaced, I'll take out the toilet and vanity and start scrappin'.