Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #1

Share |
Thumbs down

Wallpaper demo = never ending work = years off my life

We have wall paper in many rooms that is coming down. Some is textured the people who lived here before removed some from the powder room and damanged the walls so bad we covered more than half way up with beadboard the rest I covered with spackling compound and sanded over and over and over because we were afraid of redoing drywall. (im no longer afraid mind you (; ) So most of the textured stuff is gone regular wallpaper is still everywhere. I tried scoring the paper then sprayed with the remover and it was a mess. I found its easier if I dont score it but its still very slow going and after the paper is off you can still see and feel more importantly where the glue was. I just want to rip it out and put up new but its a big house. I really dont want to sand the walls down everywhere like the bathroom. Oh did I mention I'm nuts about details? I really want smooth walls any info would be great.. thanks

Toriej92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toriej92 View Post
We have wall paper in many rooms that is coming down. Some is textured the people who lived here before removed some from the powder room and damanged the walls so bad we covered more than half way up with beadboard the rest I covered with spackling compound and sanded over and over and over because we were afraid of redoing drywall. (im no longer afraid mind you (; ) So most of the textured stuff is gone regular wallpaper is still everywhere. I tried scoring the paper then sprayed with the remover and it was a mess. I found its easier if I dont score it but its still very slow going and after the paper is off you can still see and feel more importantly where the glue was. I just want to rip it out and put up new but its a big house. I really dont want to sand the walls down everywhere like the bathroom. Oh did I mention I'm nuts about details? I really want smooth walls any info would be great.. thanks
Don't score, just saturate with remover and take a broad putty knife and run it back and forth under the edge of the paper while applying steady pressure pulling the paper away from the wall. Try several different removers if the one you are using does not seem to be performing well. On an old house it's always worth trying a mixture of white vinegar and warm water in a spray bottle as that seems to work exceptionally well on old wall paper.

There are no magic cures for the walls once the paper is off. You can sand or skim and that's about it. Skimming (applying a fresh thin coat of drywall compound) will give you a nice surface and also solves the issue of potentially painting over adhesive residue, but its obviously going to require sanding and making a bit of a mess.

Either way its still less than the mess you'd have on your hands removing the walls and putting up drywall. By a huge margin.

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Coconut Pete's paella!

Granted I only had to remove 12" wallpaper borders in 2 of my rooms, but 1/2 fabric softener and 1/2 warm water worked WONDERS for me.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I have used fabric softener and water most often too. I find a 1 gallon garden sprayer more helpful than spray mist bottles. I have also been able to get antique papers, or contemporary ones hung by someone knowing what they were doing, off with an old fashioned paper steamer (not a Wagner toy). Just do not oversaturate things.

Wish I could say there was an easy way and that it is fun. Old paper hung by a real paper hanger is no problem. Those stupid borders and some of the pre-pasted stuff that were the rage for DIYers makes my blood boil. The border adhesive is pure evil.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
In a little over my head

Try renting a wallpaper steamer. I tried all the tricks; no luck, slow and tedious. Steamer made it easy. Done in less than an hour.
Hmmmm.... looking for a picture online, they aren't that expensive to buy, tho I don't know how these work compared to the ugly metal one I rented.
http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Product.../dp/B0009XEL4O
http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/10...ws/reviews.htm
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #6

I agree about steaming, but I didn't want to rent so I got out my old trusty clothes iron that I use for construction projects and got a bucket of water with fabric softener in it and an old bath towel and a step ladder. I soak the towel and wring out the excess, then roll a stick into one end of the towel and hold the towel against the wall with one hand and iron with the other. This forces the steam and fabric softener into the wall paper. Do the area the size of the towel and immediately use a putty knife or similar tool to peel off the paper. I tried the vinegar solution and it helps, but the vinegar smell nearly killed me. When using these chemicals, watch your nose. If you start feeling sick or stuffy, get a mask on and ventilate the room.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishing View Post
Try renting a wallpaper steamer. I tried all the tricks; no luck, slow and tedious. Steamer made it easy. Done in less than an hour.
Hmmmm.... looking for a picture online, they aren't that expensive to buy, tho I don't know how these work compared to the ugly metal one I rented.
http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Product.../dp/B0009XEL4O
http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/10...ws/reviews.htm
Like I say, steamers were the only way to do it at one time. A client bought a Wagner thing at Home Desperate for $30. I found it terribly inefficient and rather scary as the cheap Chinese plastic gurgled and heated up to barely the point of making steam.

Rent a real one. Or for that matter, buy a real new or used one. Sell it when you are done. You will get your money back minus what you would have paid for plastic toy or rental.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote