Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wallpaper in bathrrom? Remodelling ideas..

Getting ready to remodel a small full bath. Tub and shower is a two piece fiberglass unit and is brand new. Toilet is brand new. Medicine cabinet is new. This leaves only a vanity and vanity top. Floor and walls, and accessories. I want to spend as little as possible. I am thinking about a nice light gray ceramic tile for the floor, or possible marble considering the floor is so small I could afford either I guess. My question is about the walls. My first inclination was to wallpaper the entire room. Cheaper than wall tile and easier. BUT, the shower moisture might make it peel I guess? Any suggestions? I also though about perhaps just painting but above the shower walls and around it this wouldn't work, right?

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #2

In my opinion, wallpaper is from the devil. There are a ton of different paint treatments that are extremely inexpensive and give a nice professional look. If you are worried about condensation, make sure your bathroom has a good exhaust fan, it works and you use it.

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
(the original)

Sure you can wallpaper or paint successfully in a bathroom. Just stay away from "cheap" products (and box store advice...) Use a good primer/sealer made for this purpose, appropriate paste and vinyl wallcovering, or paint made for baths. Go to a good wallcovering store or a Sherwin Williams and they'll walk you through the whole thing.And, as bradnailer said, put in an exhaust fan if you don't already have one.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
They're all fixer-uppers

Thanks. I not only have a good exhaust, but I have a timer switch so it continues to run for 20min after we have showered and left the room. I originally repainted with Sherwin Bath paint, but its bubbling and peeling around the shower wall... So I figured that it was probably not a good idea for directly around the tub surround.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote