Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #1

Share |

Wall removed. Now what ?

I think I made an error. Removing non load bearing wall. I removed all of the drywall/paneling all the way up flush to the ceiling. (paneling on one side, drywall on the other). Now I am saying to myself why did I do that shouldn't I have left up to a foot of the wall at the top so I could then trim it out with casing ? I guess I can add back what I need and patch the walls but that will never look like the original. Also thinking of just faux beaming across the opening. What should I have done and what would anyone suggest att this point ? Thanks so much.

mannerofspeakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #2

Wall removed. Now what ?

What were you trying to achieve. If you don't want a wall there, just patch and tape the ceiling. The only purpose that remaining bit of wall would serve would be if you wanted some sort of separation between the rooms you have joined by removing the wall. For example, if you wanted something physical up there to distinguish the dining room form the adjoining living room.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
DIY staff

Wall removed. Now what ?

Post a picture,Like jim suggested--cut the drywall back a foot or so on both sides --to get rid of the thicker,previously taped edges--then add some new drywall and tape--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #4

Wall removed. Now what ?

Thanks. Here is a photo. Opening will be just under 10 feet. Want to either leave it as a smooth transition or at most was thinking of adding a faux beam (maybe 4 inches in height) in the opening. My thought is what to do with the the remainder of the opening. How to trim it out, or to trim it out at all. Can't figure how to trim it out if the opening is flush to the ceiling and make it look good. Plus I have paneling on one side and drywall other so how to cover the jamb area is puzzling. Do I use a drywall piece or a paneling piece or something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Wall removed.  Now what ?-wall-opening.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Chicago, IL

Wall removed. Now what ?

Are you sure that's not a load-bearing wall? I sometimes see interior LB walls installed with a single top plate, especially in older construction.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #6

Wall removed. Now what ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
Are you sure that's not a load-bearing wall? I sometimes see interior LB walls installed with a single top plate, especially in older construction.

Truss system above. Wall not attached to it. Also door opening in same wall is a single 2x4 header.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Chicago, IL

Wall removed. Now what ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannerofspeakin View Post
Truss system above....
Settles THAT.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #8

Wall removed. Now what ?

I'm thinking that a wood jamb with casing around it would be suitable.
Because the wall has drywall on only one face, you will need to custom cut the jamb to suit the wall thickness.
The top can be built-up and wrapped as you see fit. Panel on one side drywall on the other.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-20-2010)