Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wainscot molding issues

I am in the process of remodeling out kitchen and I am installing wainscoting in our breakfast nook area. The wainscot comes in sheets 48" x 32" x 3/8" which I got at Lowes. Today I went to Lowes and Home Depot looking for molding to cap the top of the wainscot after it is attached to the wall (typically called a chair rail). I found a chair rail piece and a thin cap piece of molding that has a cut out in the back designed to fit on top of the wainscot. The problem is that the cut out on the back of the molding is only 1/4" deep so that it won't cover the top of my wainscot completely. They only had two pieces of molding with a cut out on the back for wainscot and they both were only 1/4" deep. Has anyone else every run into a problem like this? I bought the waiscot at Lowes thinking they would have all of the pieces that go along with installing wainscot. Where can I get molding that will fit my wainscot? Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric

cmdrico7812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wainscot molding issues

Try an actual Lumber supply company that focuses on selling to builders and carpenters, as well as Home owners. They will have a much wider selection of stock.

Additionally, you can easily take ANY kind of molding that you like, and mill out a 3/8" kerf (cut) into the bottom of it with a table saw, and turn it into a wainscotting chair rail.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Wainscot molding issues

I had a problem similar to yours. I purchased standard casing and had a cabinet shop make the notch for the wainscot. It worked great. It didn't cost me much more than the pre-notched molding.
Handyman50 is offline   Reply With Quote