DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Vinyl Siding Versus Painting Asbestos

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Tom Struble 
#1 ·
I am planning on selling my house 2 1/2 stories and 2300 square foot and I am trying to figure out which method will give me the greatest return on investment ROI when I sell it. I have Asbestos siding on my house and have some cracked shingles and some of the shingles are faded. I was thinking to

1) Remove the Asbestos, I think there may be another layer of siding under the asbestos in which case I would have to remove that siding as well, and vinyl side over it.

2) Vinyl Side over the Asbestos using furring strips, but I hear the Asbestos shingles are prone to cracking and I don't want vinyl siding falling off of my house a few years down the road.

3) Just replace the broken shingles and repaint the house myself.

I have never vinyl sided before but have been studying up on it. A house this big seems too much for a one man job for my first time. I have found people off craigslist that would do it for $1000 labor but I am risking a ****ty job. To get a professional to do it would cost $5000 labor. Financially does the added asthetic look of vinyl justify the labor cost, hassle, and risk of siding over asbestos?

See less See more
#2 ·
I actually prefer the look you have now over vinyl. if the asbestos shingles are over another siding then by adding vinyl you will have three layers. This will lead to very weird window and door trim and possible water intrusion if not done right. Also, an entire house siding job is a tough one man job even for a pro.

Me, I would patch it and paint it.

if I was living there for a long time I would pull off the existing two layers and replace with fiber cement or wood to keep with the original character of the house. This rote will lead to many 'I might as well" type issues could get expensive.

#3 ·
For ROI, I would keep the asbestos and repair/paint it. To reside the house properly it would need to be removed by a company certified in asbestos abatement(=$), in addition, you don't want your siding installed by amateurs. It is an easy concept, but there are a lot of ways to screw up a siding job if you don't know what you're doing....The only thing you risk by repainting, is that it may scare some people away due to the asbestos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.