DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

vinyl siding on stucco on cedar siding

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Christopher22 
#1 ·
I know it should be ripped off however I want to know how one installs siding on stucco. The stucco is old masonary type, cannot nail through which is also ontop of cedar siding underneath. Yes I know bad bad to put another layer ontop.

However, besides rip it all off and start from there. How do I put siding on top?

I was going to put 1x3 strapping screwed into the studs with 4" screws (1/2" stucco, 3/4" cedar siding, 3/4" strapping + 1/2" leeway = at least 1 - 1-1/2" of grab into the stud - should be enough?) :eek: maybe more trouble than it's worth but I want to grab the studs + that's a lot of drilling cause I'll need to drill through stucco with masonry bits. It is a small house 700 sqft. total I will cover.

I have heard most contractors just nail over top of whats there. One contractor said he had a red flag when we told him we want everything ripped off but he said he would just nail overtop, and .. well .. I can do that save some money, so I thought I would try.

Can anyone provide some pointers? Is it really a stupid idea to go over the stucco?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.