Vinyl Siding Over Concrete Block - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vinyl siding over concrete block

I'd like to finish an old painted concrete block storage building to match the new vinyl-sided main house.

I've found conflicting information on how to handle this. I've been told to use 1x3 furring only. Another source says that I must put 3/4" foam insulation between the furring strips or else the vinyl will become wavy. I've also heard that I need a minimum of 2x furring, again with and without insulation. It's also been suggested to put 1x furring and cover with 1/2" OSB (although I'd be worried about the OSB getting wet from rain splashing up off the ground).

I've installed plenty of vinyl siding, but always on wood-framed walls with plywood sheathing. I just can't get a handle on how to do it over block.

I'm located in northeast Florida, if that matters.

Advertisement

Last edited by workshopaholic; 05-04-2012 at 08:50 AM.
workshopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,030

is the building heated or not?
How close to the ground will the vinyl go?

Advertisement

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
is the building heated or not?
Not heated, but the interior already has a drywall with foam underneath. The building stays quite cool/warm already, so more foam just for insulation's sake wouldn't be needed, I think.

Quote:
How close to the ground will the vinyl go?
Maybe 2-3 inches? I was going to leave a gap for trimming with a weedeater. I could see leaving as much as four inches and still look good.
workshopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

Own my own house I used strips of Advantec 3/4 subflooring, reason being is I had it on hard, it's not that expencive, far more water resestant then plywood or OSB.
I used 8" wide strips at the bottom, 6" wide in the corners, around windows and doors and the top, and 3" wide for the field. You need to do all the outside pieces and around the doors and windows first, then the field.
It also would be best to cover all your expost wood on the soffits with vinyl soffit and cover the fashias with coil stock before any siding goes on.
My slab was pored way to low so I used strips of coil stock bent 90 deg. along the bottom edge to help keeping water off the bottom edge, then I used 1 X 6 vinyl lumber along the bottom. That way the weed wacker will not hit the siding. It's best to run the vinyl lumber all the way to the outside corners so the vinyl corner sit on top of the 1 X 6 vinyl lumber.
On top Of that I put Z moulding, then J moulding.
Depending on how your windows and doors are trimmed now you may have to build out all the trim, and cover with PVC coil stock before siding.
I installed 3/4 foam to the walls between the strips but for a garage if you spaced the stips every 16" you should be able to get away without it.
We tryed using a ram set but my block was so poopy we had to use Tap Cons instead.
We used 1-1/4 roofing nails to hang the siding and they worked fine, Siding is hung not attached tight to the wall.
As soon as we finished people started stopping by that I had never met before and saying how much better it looked.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 624

I've watched guys furring out clay tile block buildings with 1x material and xps. It makes sense to me.

I think I am in a high wind area. At least it seems that way to me whenever I'm installing siding or fascia or soffit. I always nail vinyl every 8" when it's on osb. This would add some more strapping.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

You would attach furring strips to the block wall with sleeve anchors or tap cons then apply the vinyle siding.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,524

I'd strap the wall with 3/4" "treated" plywood with 3/4" foam in between the strapping.

Use "ring shank" roofing nails for the siding.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
KemoSabe

I firred out with treated 2x4 because any wood in direct contact with masonry should be treated.

Covered with OSB, #30 felt paper, then vinyl siding and PVC trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl siding over concrete block-009-copy-3-.jpg   Vinyl siding over concrete block-011-copy.jpg   Vinyl siding over concrete block-003-copy-2-.jpg   Vinyl siding over concrete block-010.jpg   Vinyl siding over concrete block-021.jpg  

Vinyl siding over concrete block-003-copy-4-.jpg  
Old 05-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
KemoSabe

Finished
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl siding over concrete block-010-copy.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

I did this to a 4 stall garage about 8 years ago. All I did was use a 3/16 x 1 1/4 tapcon where a nail would be. Be sure to hit the joints,not block. Pre-drill holes and do not screw tight to wall. Have had No problems with waves or moisture.

Advertisement

antlerdancer is offline   Reply With Quote