Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
When is fishing season?

Rewards Points: 500

Vinyl replacment window gap

I was going around the other day doing some caulking after discovering that whoever installed the replacment windows in our living room (they were there when we bought the house) and discovered that 2 of the windows on one side of each had like a little more than a 1/2 in gap between the window and the old window frame (sorry, not sure of the termonology). I know with caulking that you shouldn't do more than a 1/2" gap with it. What should I use to fill this? The gap goes the depth of the window (i can actually see daylight thtough it).

I am using DAP clear door and window caulking.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

Put some loose insulation in it or use a NON EXPANDING foam spray. Make sure its non expanding because if it expands the windows will not work properly as the foam will swell pushing the sides of the jamb into the window causing them to be real hard to raise and lower

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 524

I am not sure where exactly you are talking about. You should not be able to see light through the gap between the old frame and new frame because interior and exterior trim along with stops, etc should cover that...If that is somehow the case, I prefer fiberglass insulation.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I would definitely use low expansion foam to insulate around the frames. Dow or Hiliti is the only brands we use. The DAP is latex based and falls apart after it dries. A lot of old timers still stuff fiberglass insulation in the gap. Using fiberglass in this way does not insulate, nor does it effectively airseal. The only part of fiberglass insulation that actually insulates is the "dead air" it traps, not the fiberglass itself. When it's compressed into a cavity... it has no insulation value. It is also an extremely poor air barrier... that's why they make furnace filters out of it... air goes right through it. Also reseal the outside of your windows with a good silicone caulk.
Hartford.
Hartford is offline   Reply With Quote