Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Victorian Kitchen

I have a Victorian house built in 1888 and I'm going to remodel the kitchen. Its 13x14 with 10 foot ceilings. I'm really unsure if I should go with a recessed light, chandelier, or both? Will it look odd to mix a chandler and recessed lights? Right now the kitchen has a ceiling fan but I am drywalling over the ceiling anyway since there are so many cracks and peeling paint. I already dropped about a foot of the ceiling around the perimeter by a foot to run plumbing and ductwork to the second floor. Other than that, the kitchen is a box.

jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Victorian Kitchen

This combination will work fine. Possible use smaller recessed cans at the edge of the counter line to be used as task lighting.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Victorian Kitchen

I work mainly on antique homes and buildings and add recessed lighting all the time. I would worry more about not adding a totally modern looking kitchen to an old Victorian. I had one client that insisted on such and it will never match the character of the rest of the house. Shop carefully for countertops, fixtures, cabinets and so forth. I don't mean to say that you shouldn't have all the bells and whistles.

By the way, I am not sure your budget, but refrigerators and dishwashers "in drawers" look nice in old kitchens and make a lot of sense anyhow. When you think about it, the modern frig dates back to the old ice box days. It is really energy stupid to open the door on all of a 100,000 cf frig on a 100F summer day to grab a can of soda or glass of milk for the kids? Why not have a frig just for beverages, another for veges, meats and so forth near your prep area. Same with dishwashers. One for pots and pans placed near the stove and dish sink. Another for glassware near where you keep it? And you will gain a lot of cabinet space---often precious in old home kitchens---not having clunky old appliances taking up so much room and fitting under countertops.

Just one example.

http://www.subzero.com/IntegratedRef...n/700BRDrawers

Last edited by user1007; 02-01-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote