Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #1

Share |

Vaulted ceiling, is a ceiling fan necesary?

We're trudging away on our kitchen remodel. We've vaulted the ceiling, at the highest point (peak) its 14ft. A friend insists we need to install a ceiling fan for airflow purposes.......but Ive spent months picking out just the right light fixtures, and an ugly ceiling fan wasn't in my plan. Do we need something to help control the heat/ac flow.....and if so, is there some type of option besides a ceiling fan?

soberjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberjulie View Post
We're trudging away on our kitchen remodel. We've vaulted the ceiling, at the highest point (peak) its 14ft. A friend insists we need to install a ceiling fan for airflow purposes.......but Ive spent months picking out just the right light fixtures, and an ugly ceiling fan wasn't in my plan. Do we need something to help control the heat/ac flow.....and if so, is there some type of option besides a ceiling fan?
while a ceiling fan may well help circulate air ...its really not needed as a requirement for heating or a/c......enjoy your kitchen remodel....ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
JOATMON

We have one in our kitchen....it's not 14'....more like about 11'.

Seeing how hot air rises.....in the winter time, the vaulted ceiling will fill with the hot air. A ceiling fan 'could' be used to push the air down....but if your well insulated....minimal change in temp.

Key is good insulation.

I would like to point out that in rooms that have higher ceilings...in the summer, they tend to be a little cooler because the hot air is up high.

Bottom line....if you don't want one....don't put in one....

But....you 'just' might want to consider running a length of NM wire up there 'just' in case you decide later you want a ceiling fan or something else. We are talking maybe $2 worth of wire? Which would save you hundreds of dollars later?

BTW....your friend watches too much HGTV.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
soberjulie (07-09-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #4

Our log home has a 12/12 pitch roof. From the floor to the peak inside is almost 23 feet. We have four ceiling fans; it's amazing what a difference they make. You just need to be sure they're turning in the right direction for whatever season it is.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote