Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Exclamation

URGENT Window question (replacement)

Found a HUGE picture window in the classifieds for 60 dollars. Vinyl, double pane glass. 5' x 7'6" Its in great shape aside from being a little dirty from sitting around for a while.

Question : Does it matter how far away from the floor the window is? If I install it where i'm thinking I want it, it'll be about 14" from the ceiling on one corner, and ~ 27" from the floor to the bottom of the window sill. Is that too low? Is there even such a thing? :confused: The window thats there now is 36" from the floor. My dad says its way too low to the floor like that and we need to look for something smaller. I've been wanting to get a bigger window in the front room, and this is a GREAT deal. I hate to pass it up if it'll work out ok. I hope the window is still there tomorrow.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:18 AM   #2
Master Craftsman

Rewards Points: 250

Your fine. Buy the window. Code (if I remember correctly) says that anything 14 or 17 inches from floor has to be tempered for safety but your well above that. I've installed windows that were only 6 inches above the floor.

Dave.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

keep the top the same as the other windows in your house
fettycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #4
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

What they said, you're good to go as long as it's high enough that people can't fall through it at the "Look at my new window" party.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettycan
keep the top the same as the other windows in your house
Does it really matter?

I don't think any of my other windows are the same height from the ceiling anyway, but this one would be on a wall by itself. Actually would share a wall with a door, but the windows are different from the door height too.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
fhi vinyl windows

Rewards Points: 150

alan, 7'6" in height? If so, how high is your ceiling? You should have a 2x10 header for the span...so a 8' ceiling would not be enough room. Next, is the window used, if so does it have a warranty? You might end up spending more time making the opening, playing around with interior and exterior trim and then having the window fail in a few years. Some times it is cheaper in the long run to buy a new product with a warranty (you can get lifetime warranty's with vinyl window, but not all brands, and some can be transfered to the next owner.
fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhivinylwindows
alan, 7'6" in height? If so, how high is your ceiling? You should have a 2x10 header for the span...so a 8' ceiling would not be enough room. Next, is the window used, if so does it have a warranty? You might end up spending more time making the opening, playing around with interior and exterior trim and then having the window fail in a few years. Some times it is cheaper in the long run to buy a new product with a warranty (you can get lifetime warranty's with vinyl window, but not all brands, and some can be transfered to the next owner.
We would be installing it 5' in height and 7'6" in length

The ceiling is vaulted and slopes from 9' 10" right next to the door down to about 7'4" if I remember correctly.

You're probably right with your point on the warrantee though. Any idea what I could expect to pay for this window new? I tried the hardware store yesterday, and waited on hold long enough for it to ring back to the front desk, and then about 20 more rings before I finally hung up on those jerks.

I'm not so broke that I couldn't afford to do it new, but its probably a little bigger than I would have chosen myself, however, the price seems too good to pass up to me if it would work.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
fhi vinyl windows

Rewards Points: 150

Check around on-line for someone in your area that sells lifetime warranty windows. Just make sure to tell them that you want material only and if you can pick it up from them. Did you see if your window had a warranty that can be transfered? Also is there other windows in the room, if not you might want to go with 2 double hungs and a picture window in the middle or 2 casements with a picture window in the middle.
fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

I had an 8' wide Anderson window fail (over 20 years old, they wouldn't cover it, said it was a maintenance issue). Checked into putting in a new window. If I remember right it was over a grand just for the window, $1,500 for a bay window. That did not include installation. I found a window similiar to the original one (just a wee bit smaller, which is what I was looking for (it's a brick house) for $60. Wasn't very old and was in tip top shape. Had it installed for much less than a grand and am very pleased with it. No warranty, but I don't expect it to fail as maintenance will not be an issue now that we're the owners. My insurance told me I'd have been better off if I'd said my kid shot a hole in it.

skits is offline   Reply With Quote