Upstairs Open Room--wall Off? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

upstairs open room--wall off?

I have an very open floor plan (Weekley Adler) and while it was great when the kids were little bitty, now the volume of their upstairs play/activities is driving me crazy. The playroom upstairs is railed halfway and completely open from 1/2 way all the way to the ceiling. TVs both upstairs and downstairs obviously compete mightily with each other. My husband and I don't dare watch an HBO series downstairs while the kids are upstairs in this room as they can hear every word and easily watch through the spindles. A conversation downstairs in the living area and conversations upstairs at the same time are difficult, AND legos and other toys rain down on me all day, bouncing all over the living area and the kitchen.

If I were to wall off this area, I fear I would lose a lot of the light during the day that I really do love. Has anyone tackled a similar problem with some kind of windows upstairs or using glass as a 1/2 wall--too dangerous? I have no idea and can't even think up good search words that might help me do a google search. I don't think I need to fully close off the room by installing a door (one is about to be a teenage--'nuff said), but some sort of wall is imperative at this stage.

Advertisement

aj_simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Post pictures of the room. It will help with the responses.
From below and above.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I have the same issue. I have teenagers and I DO want to completely have it walled off, but I don't want it to look weird. Help!
slmom is offline   Reply With Quote