Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Share |

Updating Fireplace

Hi,

I'm planning on tackling a project to update our fireplace. I'd like to have updated modern tiles around it, and cover/update the mantel. Can I just cover the uneven stone (see pic) with something like cement board and then tile on top of that? I'm also thinking of covering the shelf with smooth wood, molding, and paint to give it a more updated look. I would appreciate any advice! I'm mainly concerned with covering up that stone and thoughts about the way I'm planning to do this.

Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Updating Fireplace-fireplace.jpg.jpg  

davediy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #2

Updating Fireplace

I wonder how many times this fireplace has been, "updated"?
How old is the house?
I wouldn't put cement board over the rock, I'd remove the rock and build the frame from that point. You would need to screw the concrete board to the uneven rock. Not a likely scenario in my book.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #3

Updating Fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519
I wonder how many times this fireplace has been, "updated"?
How old is the house?
I wouldn't put cement board over the rock, I'd remove the rock and build the frame from that point. You would need to screw the concrete board to the uneven rock. Not a likely scenario in my book.
Thanks for your response! The house was built in the mid 80s and I'm guessing this is original to the house. I say that because I've seen lots of 80's homes which have the same fireplace, including the one I grew up in.

Yeah I thought of taking the stone off, but I'm worried that might be difficult. I was sort of thinking to use mortar to smooth out the uneven rock and fill the gaps before putting cement board down... or even tiling directly over the mortar. But you still think it's better to remove the stone, huh?
davediy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #4

Updating Fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davediy View Post
Thanks for your response! The house was built in the mid 80s and I'm guessing this is original to the house. I say that because I've seen lots of 80's homes which have the same fireplace, including the one I grew up in.

Yeah I thought of taking the stone off, but I'm worried that might be difficult. I was sort of thinking to use mortar to smooth out the uneven rock and fill the gaps before putting cement board down... or even tiling directly over the mortar. But you still think it's better to remove the stone, huh?
What is you experience in this area? A tile surface is dead flat. Do you think you can get the surface close by filling in the uneven areas of the rock and then compensate for the smaller variations when you put up the tile?
If you think you can do it that way, go ahead.
They'll be other suggestions to come along, pick the one you like.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Updating Fireplace

It's fairly hard to tell from that one picture, but it appears that the current stone material is fairly thin, like maybe 1.5-2" thick, and is possibly even adhered directly to the substrate behind (possibly concrete block.)

If that's the case, I think you'll find it much easier & faster to simply remove the current stone and start with a flat substrate.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
JOATMON

Updating Fireplace

I feel your pain....

This is what our fireplace looked like when we moved in.....see the paneling? It's 'behind' the brick of the fireplace.

This is what we did to solve the problem. The brick is there there...just behind the wood.

ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote