Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Unsure of bathroom materials

I have gutted the bathroom to the bare walls and the tiles had been cemented in with wire mesh a contractor stapled garbage bags on the outside wall with pink insulation then 1/2 green ProRoc drywall. The tub is placed but there is no insulation between the wall and drywall anywhere else something doesn't seem right. he's using multi-purpose readymix joint compound and plastic mesh tape for the seams everywhere except the shower & tub area. This long weekend was the only chance I had to inspect everything and I am having anxiety that things aren't done right.If you knock on the drywall the bedroom on the otherside hears everything. Can someone give me some advice.:confused: So far the tub, drywall, and drop ceiling with recessed lighting & fan are the only things done so if I have to redo anything beter late than never.

lavender11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

I am having a hard time understanding what you are trying to describe.
Could you take a little more time and be more descriptive?

thanks

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Not sure exactly what you are asking but it sounds like you want to deaden the sounds between the bathroom and the bedroom(?)

If this is the case, then just add insulation between the walls that you want to reduce the sound transmission.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:04 AM   #4
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Ok i got you. The garbage bags are a cheap vapor barrier. (Cheap) The pro roc i think is a brand of cement board that is good. Finally with out some kind of filling in the bathroom wall and the bedroom wall you will here what is going on in the bathroom. Would recomend insulating interior walls. Best way to do it if that is your question would be. A clear vapor barrier over insulation on exterior wall not cheap garbage bags. Then cement board. He should tape all the joints where tile is going over. I like fiber mess tape. However a cheap job wouldn't do this. Finally anywhere in bathroom there isn't going to be tile i would go with greenboard.(moisture resistance drywall). Finally i would definately install insulation in all interior walls for sound. Also make sure fan is big enough to blow steam to outside vent. Fans come in different sizes. If the duct has to travel a long distance to vent which will vent the steam outside then you need a bigger fan. i thinking 140-160. They range in size from like 100-200 if not more or less.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

The others seemed to have covered your wall concerns, but I'd like to chime in on the drop ceiling. I'm not a big fan of drop ceilings used in bathrooms in general, but if the bathroom is VERY well vented AND the tiles used are SPECIFICALLY for moisture and humidity intense applications, they are acceptible. But you must make sure that they are using the special tiles. Its worth looking into, because the special tiles are like 5 X more expensive than the regular ones and sometimes people try to skimp. Armstrong for example makes a sag resistant moisture resistant panel and also a mold and mildew resisitant one.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote