DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Turning a tile shower into a one piece shower...

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  bjbatlanta 
#1 ·
Hi my name is Phillip and I am currently remodeling a older bathroom in my house... I am 20 so please cut me some slack if I dont know what you are talking about lol... Neways this is the first time I have ever remodeled a shower and I had a few questions about it... I currently have a tile shower and the floors are cracking out from under it and I was wanting to know what all I need to do to prep it for a one piece shower... Do I need to remove the tile from the wall before installing the one piece? What do I need to do to prep the floor for the shower? When I tore up the floor I expected to find backer board but instead what I found was concrete (I think) and a hole leading to the bottom of my house, lol . How do I go about supporting the new shower? and how do I replace the floor joists... Any help would be appreciated... I know I am probably way over my head but I ususally am, haha, I refuse to hire someone, I will figure it out one way or another but I will get it done, I find that persistance is key... I have yet to meet the job I cant tackle...
thank you
phillip

PS here are some pictures of what I am dealing with...

See less See more
#3 ·
it looks like wire mesh and I can see the support beams to the floor directly under the mesh, one of them is rotted away so i know it will have to be replaced... I found this out when I crawled underneath the house... I am gonna continue tearing out the floor since I know the beam has to be replaced to support the new shower... I will post up pictures when I finish tearing it out...

#4 ·
okay so what i though was a wire mesh material is a rotted out support beam that has basically turned into a fiber like material that crumbles whenever you touch it... It seems that there is a material covering the support beams that is about an 1/8" thick and looks like a cheap type of ply wood that has now been rotted and is about the consistency of wet card board...

#5 ·
okay so i got the floor removed and now I need to replace the joists that are in the floor.. Should I go ahead and take the tile down off the wall or should I wait until I get the new joists in place? I am not quite sure how this works... any help would be appreciated...

thanks
phillip

#7 ·
omg understatement of the century is right. I got one of the walls all taken out and the floor removed... The drain pipe is an 1 1/4"... I am covered in filth from head to toe and now my friend i do believe I will be going to take a shower... I will keep you updated on my progress...

#9 · (Edited)
Oh the memories your bringing back of our first house - same project except around a tub.

Your doing fine - you can do this. But, I will say, when you decided to take on a first large remodeling project - you sure picked a winner....

What condition is that header in. Jamb a screwdriver in it and see how solid it is.

#12 ·
the header board is in fine condition... I decided I am gonna sister the floor joist and use joist hangers vs the way that it was originally done... The way it was originally done was they nailed a 2x2 to the header and notched the joists around it for support... The 2x2 is in poor condition so I am gonna replace it with joist hangers... Then I will sister an 8x10 on both sides of both of the original 8x10 joists...

#13 ·
An 8x10??? Do you mean a 2"x8"x10' (or 2"x10"x8' perhaps)? Sounds like you're on the right track. Are you sure a one piece shower will go through the doorway? Bathroom doors are often 24" and showers are over 24".....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.