Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Turning Garage into Living Area...Looking for some answers!

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the site and am needing some assistance from people willing to help me out...First a little background...Im not a handy man in any kind of way...Im more of the gopher or hold this while the other person does the work...I help but just in ways I can...My father or father in law usually does the bulk of the work...Anyways my wife and I are expecting another child...We have a 3 bedroom house (master, 1st child's room and we used the other bedroom as an office/craft room)...Well with the news of the new baby on the way, we are having to turn the other bedroom into the new baby's room...

We have already pulled the carpet from all bedrooms and put in laminate hardwood floors...But the issue that I have is we are out of rooms and have a bunch of stuff with no place for it to go...

We dont use our garage, its more like my man cave but nothing special to it...has an old nasty couch, a tv, and a dart board and JUNK...However I am thinking about cleaning it completely out and turning it into a living area (Game room type rooom)...But it has the garage door in it and I dont want to get rid of it b/c it could hurt the resale value (not planning to stay in this house forever)...But for me to turn into a living area, I have to find a way where it wont get so hot or so cold in there during the summer and winter months, respectively...I have a PS3 and computer that would go out there and those electronics could burn up/freeze up if not stored in a decent temperature room...

I have thought about getting the garage door insulation kits...Would these work and get the job done or would more have to be done...

Please any ideas are helpful! Thanks in advance...

massey0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I suggest you contact your local Building Department for answers first, then we can help you do the work. Garage conversions sometimes need; replacement place on property for lost vehicle space, vapor barrier under slab to prevent mold/rot, egress sized window or door for fire escape, smoke detector, concrete raised 6" stem wall to elevate siding, permit for paper trail to satisfy H.O.Insurance carrier in case of future claim, ventilation and lighting, heat, etc. Check with them to be certain...

Gary

Old 02-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey0210 View Post
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the site and am needing some assistance from people willing to help me out...First a little background...Im not a handy man in any kind of way...Im more of the gopher or hold this while the other person does the work...I help but just in ways I can...My father or father in law usually does the bulk of the work...Anyways my wife and I are expecting another child...We have a 3 bedroom house (master, 1st child's room and we used the other bedroom as an office/craft room)...Well with the news of the new baby on the way, we are having to turn the other bedroom into the new baby's room...

We have already pulled the carpet from all bedrooms and put in laminate hardwood floors...But the issue that I have is we are out of rooms and have a bunch of stuff with no place for it to go...

We dont use our garage, its more like my man cave but nothing special to it...has an old nasty couch, a tv, and a dart board and JUNK...However I am thinking about cleaning it completely out and turning it into a living area (Game room type rooom)...But it has the garage door in it and I dont want to get rid of it b/c it could hurt the resale value (not planning to stay in this house forever)...But for me to turn into a living area, I have to find a way where it wont get so hot or so cold in there during the summer and winter months, respectively...I have a PS3 and computer that would go out there and those electronics could burn up/freeze up if not stored in a decent temperature room...

I have thought about getting the garage door insulation kits...Would these work and get the job done or would more have to be done...

Please any ideas are helpful! Thanks in advance...
No locality will allow you to keep the garage door and convert the space.
Do you have a actual dollar amount budget for this?
If all you have is the, "As little as possible" response, then this won't likely be done to code and will put everyone in the house at risk.
Ron.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote