Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #1

Share |

Turn a basement into a garage

I saw the craziest thing while driving through my hometown of Pittsburgh the other day. There was this house that is up on a bit of a slope (maybe 10 steps up to the front door. They had dug up about half of the front yard to build a sloping driveway into a basement one-car garage!

Now Pittsburgh being hilly, sloping driveways into basement garages are pretty common.

But I had no idea you could retrofit one. I thought they were all built that way.

Any idea how much (very roughly) something like that would cost? Like $15K, $50K, $100K? Perhaps more importantly, would it be a good idea?

pls2pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
World famous jerk.

There's no reason in the world why you can't retrofit one. You'd need to fire code the room with 5/8" drywall, put on a 20 minute or better fire rated man door from the garage to the rest of the basement, and install a header over the overhead door. No counting earthwork, I think 6-9K will get you that garage if there are no special troubles. A small price to pay for people who have been parking on the street their entire lives, and have had to shovel out their parking space every time it snows.

mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Remove earth and greenery to accomodate new driveway. Haul away excess dirt: about $800-$1000.00. Spread dirt on your own land and save cost of trucking it out.
Install temporary support for joists, then:
Cut out foundation and remove debris: about $1000.00
Install new jacks, door framing, LVL header, frame off walls and ceiling to single size garage space: $1400-$1600+ (do it yourself for less)
Install wiring for garage door, light, outlet and CO2 Detector: $600
Prep. area to receive new concrete pad and entry work, pour concrete, slope away per code: Labor and concrete: about $1500 - $2200
Install exterior trim work around new door opening and adjust siding to fit: $800-$1100 +
Install new standard height and width garage door with automatic opener: $650.00 - $750.00
Install new insulation and Drywall new area with 5/8" Sheetrock: $1200+
Fire-rated pass through door and misc. trim work, paint: $900.

Grand total: $8850.00 to $10,350.00 or less by doing alot of it yourself.
If we were to price it and cover all overheads: about $12K - $13.5k

+ Don't forget the paving costs...$2000.00? +

-my 2 cents
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote