Tub Surround Tiling - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tub surround tiling

This is my first post and I'm tackling my first big project. Once I get the nerve I want to retile around my 2 sided tub. The previous posts I've read have been very calming and helpful. BUT since this is my only way of bathing, how can I - or can I - still use the tub while in the midst of my project.

Advertisement

homeimprovemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,064

tub surround tiling

Hi!

Some pictures would help! (the people here, like pictures)
Welcome to "DIY"!

rossfingal

Advertisement

rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

tub surround tiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeimprovemom View Post
This is my first post and I'm tackling my first big project. Once I get the nerve I want to retile around my 2 sided tub. The previous posts I've read have been very calming and helpful. BUT since this is my only way of bathing, how can I - or can I - still use the tub while in the midst of my project.
You'd put water in the tub and get in and soap up. Just leave the submarines and rubber ducks outside.
And don't splash.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

tub surround tiling

Welcome!

I recently retiled my shower. It can be done.

If it is just you, you should be able to carefully use the tub. If its you, and your family.... Well, you all gotta be careful. Keep all of the water inside the tub.

You mentioned it is a two sided tub. Is this a tub/shower? Can you post a pic?
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

tub surround tiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Welcome!

I recently retiled my shower. It can be done.

If it is just you, you should be able to carefully use the tub. If its you, and your family.... Well, you all gotta be careful. Keep all of the water inside the tub.

You mentioned it is a two sided tub. Is this a tub/shower? Can you post a pic?

Posting a pic is something else I'll have to learn! It is a tub shower combo. I think the tub is original and probably from the 40's. It's nice and deep so a real keeper. The 1 side is the plumbing side and the other is the adjacent wall. The other 2 sides are open w/curtain. The walls are really nasty, so I'm kinda afraid to start to see what's behind. I keep saying "I can't make it worse" - hopefully.
homeimprovemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #6

tub surround tiling

I don't know why you would keep a 70 year old tub unless it was in pristine condition and/or you took baths.
Some high wall of castiron isn't something most people will want to vault over to get into a shower.
I have a 19" high Jacuzzi with a shower in it in the kid's bath I occasionally use. A little too high for me.
When the master bath gets done the tub goes.
Ron
Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 42

tub surround tiling

I was thinking she could put in a shower seperate from the tub if she had the space but it doesn't sound like she wants to get that midieval in this remodel. Pictures would help here is how to do it on this site How to attach a photo to a post
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Stuck in the 70's

tub surround tiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeimprovemom View Post
It is a tub shower combo. I think the tub is original and probably from the 40's. It's nice and deep so a real keeper. The 1 side is the plumbing side and the other is the adjacent wall. The other 2 sides are open w/curtain. The walls are really nasty, so I'm kinda afraid to start to see what's behind. I keep saying "I can't make it worse" - hopefully.
This is what I had imagined.

The problem is many houses of the era were built with just tubs. Then later, when showers became popular, showers were added above the existing tubs and people assumed the tiled surrounds were "waterproof". They weren't, so more than likely you've had decades of water seeping into your wall. I would be very surprised if you didn't have mold in there, and there is a good chance you may have rot issues in that wall as well. I don't want to scare you, just prepare you for the worst case scenario.

I disagree with Ron (everyone's entitled to their opinion). I've always wanted a nice deeper-than-normal tub to soak in, but have never had one. If it is in good condition and you like it, why not keep it. The only reservation I would have is it is two sided. When showering, water tends to leak out around the curtain and can lead to water damage on the floor. This is something you want to be careful of.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #9

tub surround tiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
This is what I had imagined.

The problem is many houses of the era were built with just tubs. Then later, when showers became popular, showers were added above the existing tubs and people assumed the tiled surrounds were "waterproof". They weren't, so more than likely you've had decades of water seeping into your wall. I would be very surprised if you didn't have mold in there, and there is a good chance you may have rot issues in that wall as well. I don't want to scare you, just prepare you for the worst case scenario.

I disagree with Ron (everyone's entitled to their opinion). I've always wanted a nice deeper-than-normal tub to soak in, but have never had one. If it is in good condition and you like it, why not keep it. The only reservation I would have is it is two sided. When showering, water tends to leak out around the curtain and can lead to water damage on the floor. This is something you want to be careful of.
I have an issue with deep tubs that are used for showers. A stand alone tub is another issue. I love the whirlpool tub, as a tub. I just find it inconvienent to vault over. My kids had no issue with the height.
It's like anything else, it has to do with where something is and how it's used and who's using it.
That's one of the reason's the stripper pole was removed.
Ron
Old 04-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Stuck in the 70's

tub surround tiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
It's like anything else, it has to do with where something is and how it's used and who's using it.
That's one of the reason's the stripper pole was removed.
Ron

??????
I don't think I'm gonna go there.

Ron does have one very good point. It will be more awkward to get in and out of, therefore safety should be a concern. If you decide to keep it, consider installing a grab bar in the shower. Plan for it and add support while your wall is open.

Advertisement