Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #1

Share |

Tub Surround Install Question

I am almost finished with the installation of a Composite ( Fiberglass ? ) tub and shower surround. The unit is designed to be mounted directly to the studs, with the wallboard ( Im assuming ) being placed over the 1 " flange on the outside of the surround walls . I have left a 1/4 " gap between the wallboard and the surround, and am now wondering what the best way is to finish this gap. My options seem to be filling the gap with a caulk ( what kind ? ) Filling the gap with drywall compound flush to the surround surface. (Worried about cracks and moisture ). Or just caulking and putting up some type of moulding. I plan on wallpapering up to this joint in the future. I know there must be an industry standard on how to do this, but haven't seen it yet. I want to eliminate any future problems while i can. Thanks in advance for your comments.

tmbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #2

If the drywall and the surround are not in the same plane, I would install a plastic "J" track that wraps around the drywall and leave an 1/8" gap that you would silicone caulk to the surround. If the "J" track had a significant thickness, I would feather it to the sheetrock, prime, size and paper.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Home Remodeler

I have had great success with filling the gap with Dura-bond (hot mud) and finishing it with a blade to make a sharp corner. Then I chaulk the corner with paintable chaulk.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #4

Ron, The wallboard is already installed, leaving the 1/4 inch gap. How would i install an l or j channel at this point, and how would i attach it ? Thanks Tim
Old 02-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #5

Mikey, If i used your method, would i "flat -tape " with mesh tape and dura-bond over the 1/4" gap right up to the fiberglass formed edge , then a small line of caulk when dry ? Is there much movement in that joint to cause any cracks later ? Or is there chance of the Dura - Bond washing out if it gets wet ? Just worried about drywall compound that close to moisture . Maybe i'm overthinking this, but have a lot of time and $$$ involved, so i want to do as professional and long lasting a job as possible. Thanks all for your input.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Home Remodeler

You can tape it but I never have. Dura-bond is hard as a rock so it won't wash out. You method is correct, make sure you force as much in the gap as you can. If it ever cracks it is pretty easy to repair.

mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote