Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #1

Share |

Tub surround install issue

I purchased an Sterling Ensamble tub and surround from Lowes and I'm having a bit of an issue with the installation. The 3 walls the tub will set between are not square, nor are they the correct dimensions. I have about 3/4" of a gap at one side wall that I've taken up (mostly) with backer board. The tub is flush with the other side wall and mostly flush with the back wall. My other problem is getting the back wall of the surround to drop down flush with the top of the tub. I believe there is a stud the wall is wedging against, prevently one side to drop fully down into the tub. I've notched the studs out a bit to try and get the surround to fit properly, but I'm having a bear of a time doing so. Any suggestions? The tub is level in both directions.

Any ideas as to how to fill the gap at the side wall between the surround and the backer?
OriginalSterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #2

While I'm not completely understanding the issue, it sounds like before the tub and surround are installed you should correct the framing so it is square and correct in dimension. Furr out side wall so that tub fits tight and correct/replace what sounds like a bowed stud on the back wall. Taking the time to do this before install will make everything much easier. Otherwise to cover gap on side wall you can install another layer of board. If the studs are bowed on the back wall you can try a planer if they aren't too bad. If you can post a pic it would help.
dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Another DIY Zombie

Is this a one piece surround?

Measure Measure Measure!! (measure at the tub level, measure half-way up the wall, and measure at the ceiling. Use a level. You will be amazed at how far out a wall can be.
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #4

Had the same problem. Had to take walls back out (including silicone) scrape and sand the wicked burrs (which give wicked cuts) around the edges of all the walls. The burrs were preventing the walls/tabs from sitting down on/in the tub/slots. Very sloppy manufacturing!! Added several hours to the job. Thanks a million Kohler/Sterling!!
Saratoga Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
Another DIY Zombie

I installed a 3-piece surround once that I thought would be the simplest thing to do.... Well after 5 hours, it was finally in. I should have taken a picture of how much I have to cut the thing to fit my wall. Not a problem with the surround, it was all the walls in the house. But I measured so many times, and cut once. It turned out nice.

When I recently remodeled my bathroom in another house, I installed ceramic tile for the surround, but again, had to deal with walls that were waaaaay out. Take your time and work it out.
javan is offline   Reply With Quote