Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2009, 03:30 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Trimming windows

Now that I can remove the J channels from around my windows, I need some Ideas how to most efficient and good looking trim.

The first window is a 6ox5o and starts at the brick, the 2nd window is a 5ox5o and has one 2x4 between the first one and it, the 3rd is a 6ox5o and has a 3x4 between it and the previous and the last hits the brick wall. So 3 windows with a 2x4 separator.
If I remove the J channel I get approx 3-1/2" between the brick and window 1 frame, approx 3-1/2" between 1 and 2 and the same for 2 and 3 and 4 and the brick, About the sam on the bottem and top.I have several ideas,

1. Use rigid foam to cover the nailing fins from casing to casing then cover the foam with a piece of vinyl. Caulk the vinyl to the window vinal.
2. Fill the gap with wood and cover with vinyl, caulk,
3. Fill with lo expansion foam and cover with vinyl, caulk.
4. Fill with fiberglass insulation and cover with vinyl, caulk.

The inside I will stuff iunsulation beside the frame and start a piece of wallboard at the seam for the surround, that would meet with the wall - wallboard and get trim wood or picture frame, top, sides and the bottem gets a 6" shelf.
opinions on thers or any othere ideas,

thanks

Last edited by larrylwill; 06-13-2009 at 03:33 AM.
larrylwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #2

Trimming windows

Post a picture.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #3

Trimming windows

Yes I thought about that when I wen to bed, sorry.
This is with the J channels removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Trimming windows-1.jpg   Trimming windows-2.jpg  
Old 06-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #4

Trimming windows

Are all the windows in the house vinyl trimmed?
I wouldn't use wood

I think #1 is the best bet
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #5

Trimming windows

Yes for the rest of the house we got replacement vinyl windows and they used a taped vinyl strip to cover the space from the frame to the brick.
I would not use wood either, I was referring to using wood only to fill the gap, then covering with vinyl.
I'm worried about how to attach the vinyl to the filler. I guess I could use construction glue.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #6

Trimming windows

You could fill the recesses with wood or a poly board and then cap it with aluminum and caulk the brick to metal transition. The capping is bent for rigidity and usually tack nailed with color matched aluminum nails. I guess you could glue them on if you want.
Ron
Old 06-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #7

Trimming windows

One problem I'm having is I leave in a small town and supplies are limited. We have a home depot and a couple of lumber stores. HD only has brown and silver flashing. I cant find any white tin. If I used tin I will have to cut 6ft strips to size and I don't know how to cut it straight. They do have some 1/16" vinyl strips in various widths but it has a rib on the back for strength, which makes it hard to attach to a flat surface. Ihey have some vinyl wainscott boards about 1/4" x 7-1/4 x 8 $23 for 3. I could cut to size on a table saw. Also some 5/16 x 5-13/16 x 8 planks $14 ea. Then there is 1/32 x 8 x 12 facia vinyl siding I could cut up.
Is there something else available?
Old 06-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #8

Trimming windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylwill View Post
One problem I'm having is I leave in a small town and supplies are limited. We have a home depot and a couple of lumber stores. HD only has brown and silver flashing. I cant find any white tin. If I used tin I will have to cut 6ft strips to size and I don't know how to cut it straight. They do have some 1/16" vinyl strips in various widths but it has a rib on the back for strength, which makes it hard to attach to a flat surface. Ihey have some vinyl wainscott boards about 1/4" x 7-1/4 x 8 $23 for 3. I could cut to size on a table saw. Also some 5/16 x 5-13/16 x 8 planks $14 ea. Then there is 1/32 x 8 x 12 facia vinyl siding I could cut up.
Is there something else available?
You would actually need a tool called a, brake to do the work I mentioned. The brown aluminum is finished on both sides. One side brown and one side white, on the same aluminum.
You don't cut it with tin snips, you use a utility knife and a straight edge. But if you can't rent a brake, forget the aluminum. You can't put just straight floppy strips up, it just won't look right. They need to be bent to sit properly on the backing.
Ron
Old 06-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #9

Trimming windows

find a siding guy in your area to bend up the pcs for you,maybe even let him trim them for you,or you can use pvc lumber and fit it to size and caulk it in

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote