Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #1

Share |

Trimming width of joists?

I have recently removed my drywall ceiling to find that my ceiling was dropped about 7" from the bottom of the originally joists. They framed out the whole ceiling with 2X4 and dropped it down ~7" ostensibly because the old joist were not flush and they didn't have to drill any holes for the all the wiring they ran through it but I digress....

Once I removed the dropped ceiling framework and drywall and exposed the original joists I saw that they had sistered 3 of them. The new sistered joist drop about 1.5" below the originals. Can I safely remove the overhang? The span is ~16' in my living room and ~12' in my dining room.

Here's a link to pics of flickr: http://flic.kr/p/cB9ppN they are not in chronological order.

Thanks
hardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #2

I would nail straight 2x4's to the side of each on bringing them all level and flat across the ceiling.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #3

That's been suggested to me as well. I might have to go the direction. Thanks again
hardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #4

It is really hard to tell from the photos why the double joist was added along the stairwell wall and why the other joist were sistered. All I can tell you is they were sistered for a reason, and without seeing your complete setup I can't put my finger as too why. It seems as though the original joist are a 3x8 which is a pretty beefy floor joist. Possibly the headroom coming down the stairs wasn't enough and a new header was installed, but that doesn't make sense if you have a set of stairs leading to a second floor. Also you can clearly see at one point the original joist had sheetrock already installed, ripped off, and then someone else dropped the ceiling with the 2x4 frame. If I were you I would really be looking to see why those joist were sistered. Is there a bathroom above where the joist were sistered? Do you have a set of stairs leading to the second floor directly above the set leading to the basement? Do you have a support beam in your basement? Where is that in correlation with the stairwell? There is something that just isn't right.... I would really advise getting a professional onsite for further evaluation, something was corrected, or possibly half-arsed corrected, and verification is in order before you start closing up the ceiling. It may be nothing, but something just doesn't jive.
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

it also looks like they were too lazy to cut the hangers down so they fit tight against the bottom of the original joists. not one that i can see is tight against the bottom of the joist.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-26-2012)