Treated Sole Plate For Basement Partitions - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
DDB

Rewards Points: 10

Treated Sole Plate for basement partitions

How important is it to use treated sole plates for basement partitions? I've started putting in some partitions in my basement and later learned that it is recommended to use green treated 2x4's for the sole plate. I'm told that it is only required for bearing walls when the sole plate is in contact with concrete. There have not been water problems in my basement so I don't expect any flooding. Will I be taking a big risk by not using green treated 2x4's for the sole plates?

Advertisement

DDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

Good chance of it rotting.
Rule #1 when building a home, no unpressure treated wood in direct contact with concrete.
Could have gotten away with a simple foam sill seal under it.

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 05-07-2012 at 06:20 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDB
How important is it to use treated sole plates for basement partitions? I've started putting in some partitions in my basement and later learned that it is recommended to use green treated 2x4's for the sole plate. I'm told that it is only required for bearing walls when the sole plate is in contact with concrete. There have not been water problems in my basement so I don't expect any flooding. Will I be taking a big risk by not using green treated 2x4's for the sole plates?
You HAVE to use treated. You will not.pass inspections anyway. Do you have permits?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,052

No, you don't "have" to use p.t.(for the last 37 years, maybe longer)- there are other woods available for slabs, #3: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...9_3_sec017.htm

"Naturally durable wood": http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...9_2_sec002.htm

Notice- it has to be "heartwood", not sapwood: http://www.wrcla.org/cedar_benefits/...cteristics.htm

Even with a sill-sealer under other wood (not decay durable), it may not pass. Check locally. If recent construction, poly is required per Codes under a slab, but you would have to prove that it is present to the Inspector when using standard wood plates on concrete.....
The sill sealer is for a capillary/thermal break to the cold concrete touching earth unless it had a foamboard layer per location when the slab was pored. http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code

Gary
P.S. Welcome to the forums!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
DDB

Rewards Points: 10

Yes I have a permit. After learning that treated sole plates might be required, I talked to the inspector and he said that treated sole plates are only "required" if the wall is a bearing wall. The 3 walls I have put up without the treated sole plates are not bearing walls, so I don't need to tear them down and replace the sole plates. One idea I have is to get some galvanized steel sheets to slide under the sole plates of these 3 walls if there's likely to be a big problem if I don't do anything to these 3 walls.

DDB
DDB is offline   Reply With Quote