Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #1

Share |

Toilet Flange and Flooring

The remodel of our bathroom continues...

The toilet flange sits approximately 7/8" above the subflooring right now. I still need to put down the cementboard underlayment and the ceramic tile. My question is should the cement board underlayment and tile go all the way under the toilet flange to the outer circumference of the waste line, or should it just go to the outer edge of the flange?

I undertand that the flange should sit above the flooring surface but I'm worried about the forces from toilet will transfer from the flange to the tile and crack the tile down the road. If the tile and/or cement board does not go under the flange is it adequate to place support blocks between the flange and subflooring to support it?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
brneilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

A toilet flange should be flush on top of the finished floor level and bolted to it with only the 1/4" thickness of the flange above finished floor level. Then the toilet is bolted to the secured flange.
The flooring structure and tile should be up under the flange enough to drill and bolt the flange securely to it, but it doesn't necessarily have to butt up against the "waste line" itself, just close.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #3

Thank you Mike for your insight.
brneilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #4

Sometimes you can unscrew the flange from the floor and there's enough play in the pipes to lift it up enough. Backer doesn't have to go under but the flange needs to be pretty solid. I've also seen spacer flanges you can buy that set on top of the old flange but I'm not sure who sells them.
murray59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
One-man DIY Army

The toilet flange does indeed have to be level with the finished floor, but that doesn't mean it has to use the same fragile tile that you walk on and see.

I'm thinking either plywood or hard plastic; you could even get a cheap plastic cutting board of the appropriate thickness, cut it in two with a hole for the flange and put that under the flange.
mdalli is offline   Reply With Quote