Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #1

Share |

Timing for rebuilding of side entry: Help!

Hi,

I purchased a 1918 farmhouse in the Boston suburbs last fall, and am planning my renovation projects. The house is structurally sound, but needs a fair amount of work, including updating of systems, kitchen & bath renovation, re-roofing one side of the roof, and minor structural work (sistering joists, replacing a few missing framing members, etc). In addition, the side entry will eventually need replacing, as it was shoddily constructed (confirmed by my structural engineer) with substandard footings & framing support. He said I could potentially 'shore it up' but that doesn't seem like the best thing to do. (And this house is probably the 'keeper', 'til I'm old & gray)

Having this side entry structurally sound is particularly important as I would eventually like to expand the side entry by approx 3 feet order to add a first floor half bath. My question is, when is the most cost effective (and safe) time to do this rebuild/renovation?

Currently, I have most of the demo done, including having the basement, kitchen & bath (but not the side entry) down to the studs. I could potentially do the demo now, which would benefit the kitchen renovation (as an existing kitchen window will become a doorway to the new side entry). However, in doing the demo now, I would lose the huge side porch, which I love. Given all the other, higher priority items, I would not be able to rebuild the entry for several years.

So, the questions are:
a-Is it worth it, to do the demo now?
b-Will I incur any significant costs by delaying the demo/rebuild? (Note: The side entry roofline is not tied into the main structure, nor will it have a basement underneath)
c-While I am updating the plumbing (including the waste stack), is there anything I should do NOW that would faciliate adding a half bath in the future?
d-For future budgeting purposes, what can I expect for demo & rough buildout of the side entry (including footings & roof, but not any electrical or plumbing work)? Doesn't need to be exact, just trying to understand order of magnitude....

Thanks!

Jen

PS-First pic is current layout, Second is proposed renovation
Attached Thumbnails
Timing for rebuilding of side entry: Help!-1276552503.jpg   Timing for rebuilding of side entry: Help!-1276552506.jpg  
navi_jen is offline   Reply With Quote