Time Between Tile & Groute - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Doin' things my way.

Rewards Points: 10
Question

time between tile & groute

I am putting in a 4x4 shower, koehler shower base with tile walls and ceiling. I finally managed to get the walls level & plumb. I put the membrane in, have the hardibacker all up, I need to tape and bed it using the mud for the tile and fiberglass tape...right? How long do I need to wait before I tile the shower after taping? Then how long does the tile dry/cure before I groute? After it's grouted how long does it have to dry before the shower is useable?
Thanks for any answers.

Advertisement

ok_cntrygrl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Not sure what you mean by 'membrane' Are you using a fiberglass pan or tile pan. I usually use fiberglass tape but they also sell a mesh tape specifically for hardi-board, then just mud it with thinset. Usually dries in a few hours depending on humidity. Same thing with the tiles...use thinset. It depends on how much thinset you use and the temperature and humidity...I usually allow 24 hours before grouting. The grout will be dry in 12-24 hours also but rule of thumb is to wait 2 weeks before sealing and then the shower is functional.

Advertisement

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Doin' things my way.

The membrane was a thick dark plastic thing made by Oatey, that I ran up the shower stud walls and under the pan to the drain. It is a fiberglass pan by koehler. I'm just scared to death of leaks since I'm doing it myself. It's a lot of money to build a shower and I can't afford to have any leaks. I had heard you have to wait a month for the tile to dry and a month for the grout to dry. My hubby doesn't like the bathtub.
Anything I'm not sure of I research and ask lots of questions. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can get started tiling soon.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #4

Test the membrane out and let water sit in there for 48 hours to insure there are no leaks. Then you can start to lay the tile. If there is a leak in your membrane the grout is not going to stop it. Grout in a shower will always allow some water to get through so the grout is not your main issue.
natcotroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Doin' things my way.

I'm using Ultra Flex 2 mortar for the walls and a 2 part mix "keraply" and "keraplex" for the ceiling. All made by Mapei. The guy at lowes told me this is what I need to use. I'll tile then wait 48 hours and grout and let it set 2 weeks then seal the grout. Right"
THANKS GUYS, I'm just scarred to death of leaks, maybe I'm being paranoid since it's my first time tiling a big important project by myself or maybe having to listen to my hubby if it does leak...probably both. LOL
By the way I did test the membrane and it's good.

Last edited by ok_cntrygrl7; 05-14-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

sorry cntrygrl, I didnt get a message notification..just was browsing. Natcotroy is right, tile and grout won't stop water and neither do sealers. If you are using the Scheuler system you should be fine, just pay special attention to the drain, and like he said, let the water stand for a while before tiling to check for leaks.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Doin' things my way.

Thanks, Canadaclub.

Advertisement