Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tiling over tub enclosure

We have a bathtub with a 3-piece manufactured marble "enclosure" that goes up about 6 1/2 feet up the wall around the tub. We are getting ready to do some minor remodeling the bathroom and the fella hates that the wallpaper that covers the 1 1/2 foot wall from the tub enclosure to the ceiling peels over time. He wants to tile that area and then wallpaper the rest of the walls.

Has anyone ever done this or seen it done or have any opinions on this approach?

dumbunusedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

I'm confused. So you want to remove wallpaper from the surround to the ceiling but then add wallpaper on the remaining walls?
If that is correct, it doesn't make much sense. The entire bathroom will be filled with humidity so the wallpaper that's 2' away from the surround will be just as affected by humidity as the area above the surround.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #3

Well, the wallpaper over the tub enclosure does seem to have more issues with peeling. Now, is that because of how it was hung? I do not know. My fella had hired a handyman to hang new wallpaper maybe 8 years ago because of peeling mainly in the tub area (new wallpaper was placed over old wallpaper) and the new wallpaper is doing the same thing. This was way before my time so I do not know the original situation. I do know we are planning on taking all the old wallpaper down and will probably have to refloat the sheetrock before we put new paper down.

If peeling of wallpaper is an issue, what are the best solutions? We have been assuming it was because of the humidity (does not help we are in southern Louisiana to start with ). I am also considering replacing the vent fan while we are remodeling as the old one is ugly and makes a strange noise on occasion. Do the newer vent fans perform better?
dumbunusedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Well here's my deal.....you can't get away from moisture in a bathroom. It's gonna happen. Moisture + paper = mold. That's why I personally don't think wallpaper is a good idea in a bathroom. However, it's done all the time. I just don't see why someone would want to do it (just my personal opinion).
A new ventilation fan would be a great idea. I wouldn't skimp on price here. Get a good one! Nutone and Broan (same manufacturer) or Panasonic are very good brands. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT SIZE FOR YOUR ROOM. If you want to tile above the surround, that's fine. I HIGHLY recommend some kind of waterproofing material before the tile. Schluter Kerdi or Custom RedGard are 2 ways to do it. Remember that tile/grout are NOT impervious to water.