Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #1

Share |

tiles on brick

Hi, back again modelling going well but need to know if it is better to put tiles directly onto brick wall or to put villaboard up first and if I do put villaboard up do I adhere it direct to bricks or put up battens, then villaboard then tiles?
Thanks
Irwinbuilt

irwinbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #2

tiles on brick

Is it an exterior wall? Are any cracks showing? Need more info.

maticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:49 AM   #3

tiles on brick

What I have is 3 cavity brick walls and one villaboard wall in what was three rooms but is now one. I have put battens on the lower half of the brick walls and put v groove sheeting up which will have a dado rail on the top. The false wall has allowed the plumber to put in new piping and I have set up new 1300 corner bath in place. New 3/4 walls are going up around the toilet for privacy and tiles are to go above the panelling. the battens are 42 x 19 mm, the panelling 9mm and the dodo rail rebates back over the panelling making a distance of 19cm out from the brick. what I think I should do is put up 42x8mm battens, then the 6mm villaboard allowing a deepth of 5mm for the tiles and adhesive. What do you think?
Also I have to have a step in front of my bath as the plumbing has made it a little high any help with this would be appreciated. Sorry everything in the room is in very good condition no cracks, level and pretty square as this house was built by my ex and I and is 28 years old I am quite proud of it.
It is looking good and I am very pleased with the change so far.
MaryAnn

Last edited by irwinbuilt; 01-09-2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: forgot to answer question
irwinbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote