DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tile under or around a railing?

12K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ron6519 
#1 ·
In the foyer of my house, I have a return staircase. Along the staircase I have an iron railing. On the ground floor, the railing is cemented into the floor. On the second landing, it is screwed into the subfloor. There are 3 floors in this house, so the railing (which is 1 piece) goes all of the way up.

I am tiling the second floor, and i'm not sure what I should do about the railing. I unscrewed the railing on the second floor, but I cant lift it at all, since its cemented in on the bottom floor. I really dont want to tile around the railing mount because I think it will look bad and be a pain in the neck, but i'm not sure how to lift it, short of getting a jack hammer and pulling out the mount on the bottom floor. Any suggestions? How would a pro handle this?

Here are some pictures:
This is the floor that I want to tile:

This is the floor right below it where the railing is cemented in:

Thanks for any help in advance!
-Randy

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm actually only tiling the floor with the flanges. The railing on the floor with the flanges wont budge though because its really stiff. What do I do in that case?
Unscrew the flange assemby, remove the old tile and slide the new tile under the flange. Then install the screws.
If you can't get under the flange to remove the old tile, cut it flush with the flange and butt the new tile to the flange.
If you can weld, cut the vertical posts and reweld the piece after the flooring is in.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.