Tile Subfloor Help - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

tile subfloor help

after tearing out the tile and lath and ply wood i have 2x6 planks as a subfloor. My question is what next? I did not want the floor sitting too high so was thinking of using that tile backer board 1/4" and scratch coat then tile. Will this work and be strong enough for no cracking?

Advertisement

boddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

tile subfloor help

2x6 planks will definately be stiff enough for subfloor, assuming your joists aren't spaced unusually far apart. You should lay the 1/4" backerboard in thinset mortar laid with a notched trowel.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

tile subfloor help

Sure they're not 1"x6"'s?? 2"x6" would be really unusual..... Check the tile mfgr.'s specs for recommended subfloor and go by those guidelines so as not to void any warranty.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #4

tile subfloor help

Thinset the underneath of the 1/4" board? alot of it will fall thru the gaps beween the boards. Do i need a scratch coat with lath or can some of those good flexable mortors be good enough on top?

sorry they are 1x6, so will this be strong enough?

Last edited by boddah; 01-03-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

tile subfloor help

No, you will need to use plywood, then your use thinset and screws to attach your 1/4" backerboard to the plywood. There are special screws for this purpose. You should find them in the tile section near the backerboard.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #6

tile subfloor help

Im trying to keep the hight down, so can i use 1/2" plywood with no backer board. And how about the scratch coat vs the flexable thin set?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

tile subfloor help

You are not saving much height going to the proper 3/4" plywood, I would suggest using 3/4". Remember this is tile, you do not want the floor to flex with heavy weight on it.
Carnut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

tile subfloor help

Again, go with the mfgr's. recommendation. There are some tiles that can be applied to plywood without the use of backerboard. You might also try posting on the flooring forum for advice from some tile experts......
Old 01-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

tile subfloor help

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. No one here knows what your joist size is so we cannot properly suggest what needs to go over the planks.
IF you want to install tile correctly, you're going to have to deal with the height.
IF your deflection rating is adequate for ceramic tiling, then you should use exterior grade plywood over the planks. I'd suggest at least 5/8". You screw the ply to the planks, not the joists. You can then use Ditra instead of CBU for the tile under layment. Ditra is only 1/8" thick and a superior material to CBU (easier to install too ).
That would be a preferred installation method vs. 1/2" ply and 1/4" CBU. (which is roughly the same height as the 5/8" ply & Ditra).
While it is technically possible to install tile over the ply, I HIGHLY recommend against it.

and by the way, thinset is NOT flexible.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
Drywall contractor

tile subfloor help

And there you have it from a pro.......
Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #11

tile subfloor help

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. No one here knows what your joist size is so we cannot properly suggest what needs to go over the planks.
IF you want to install tile correctly, you're going to have to deal with the height.
IF your deflection rating is adequate for ceramic tiling, then you should use exterior grade plywood over the planks. I'd suggest at least 5/8". You screw the ply to the planks, not the joists. You can then use Ditra instead of CBU for the tile under layment. Ditra is only 1/8" thick and a superior material to CBU (easier to install too ).
That would be a preferred installation method vs. 1/2" ply and 1/4" CBU. (which is roughly the same height as the 5/8" ply & Ditra).
While it is technically possible to install tile over the ply, I HIGHLY recommend against it.

and by the way, thinset is NOT flexible.

Thought I'd just "use" this thread as it's what I'm going to be doing.
Quick floor question. (hopefully)
I'm doing a full bathroom remodel. When I get to the flooring we already have the tile we are going to use.
The floor is T&G 1 1/4" fir with what looks like 1/2"X6" planking on top then 3/8" underlayment. Joists are 2X6. Should this be "enough" of a floor for the tile? (don't know what a deflection rating is)
Should I be able to just use tile adhesive and then just grout?
The floor seems VERY sturdy.

TY
wineslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

tile subfloor help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineslob View Post
The floor is T&G 1 1/4" fir with what looks like 1/2"X6" planking on top then 3/8" underlayment. Joists are 2X6. Should this be "enough" of a floor for the tile?
Should I be able to just use tile adhesive and then just grout?
I'm confused. You're saying the subfloor is:
1 1/4" + 1/2" + 3/8"? That would mean a 2 1/8" thick subfloor. Is that correct? Just seems like an odd mixture.
If that is the case, I'd say you could remove the 3/8", use either 1/4" cement backer board or Ditra and then tile. You cannot tile directly over the planks.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #13

tile subfloor help

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
I'm confused. You're saying the subfloor is:
1 1/4" + 1/2" + 3/8"? That would mean a 2 1/8" thick subfloor. Is that correct? Just seems like an odd mixture.
If that is the case, I'd say you could remove the 3/8", use either 1/4" cement backer board or Ditra and then tile. You cannot tile directly over the planks.
Yup. I have no idea why the house was constructed this way.

There's 3/8" particle board (underlayment) on top of the planking. The cement backer may be too expensive for me. (for the whole floor) If need be I'll do it, but it'll have to be over time. (WAF is going to be LOW)
Old 01-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

tile subfloor help

Yes, you need to use 1/4" cement backer board (brand of your choice is fine), use alkali-resistant screws or a roofing nailer with galvanized nails, alkali-resistant mesh tape over the seams and then thinset over the tape.
You definitely need to remove the partical board
Old 01-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #15

tile subfloor help

TY, I'll post pics when this is done, should be beautiful. (tile floor that is)

Just so I have this straight,( in my head), the backer goes right on top of the 1X6's then after taping, thinset.

Advertisement

Last edited by wineslob; 01-13-2009 at 06:35 PM.