DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tile on Laminate

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  onthebrinck 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm rapidly approaching the last step in the remodeling of my kitchen --- replacing the laminate countertop with stone (yet to be decided). And putting glass tile on the back wall: there is no backsplash, per se, but rather the wall behind the counter is plastic laminate counter-to-underside-of-cabinets. It appears that the plastic laminate was applied to a 1/2" or 3/4" material (plywood or such) and run up and behind the upper cabinets along a 10' length of wall. I don't know where the laminate stops, and I am reluctant to remove the upper cabinets (they are lacquer finished and that would make the whole job exponentially bigger).

My first thought was to use my 3" circular saw to score the laminate 1/8" deep every 1/2" or so, then use a high abrasive belt sander to seriously abrade or remove the laminate. I considered using a solvent, but decided the fumes and danger of fire was too great a risk.

I also just viewed a video of a guy who uses Tavy to attach fiberglas paper to plastic laminate and then mortar on the paper for attaching the tile (no muss, no fuss).

Please share any experience you have with doing this job, thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.