Tile Floor & Thin Set Demo - Suggestions? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Newbie with a hammer

Rewards Points: 10

Tile floor & thin set demo - suggestions?

I'm gutting our small guest bathroom, and am looking for suggestions about demo of the floor. The first layer to go were the glued vinyl tiles that a previous owner put over top of ceramic tiles (and yes, they sunk along grout lines to give the house a solidly "el cheapo" feel). I've started chipping out the ceramic tiles and the quickset with steel mesh that's underneath. Under that there's a layer of what looks like old linoleum (a faint pattern makes me think this vs vapor barrier), and then the wood subfloor.

I started using a demo hammer & chisel, but it's not quick work, and I'm going to attempt the same approach in the kitchen - a much bigger area. The nearby home depot has a "big power demo hammer" for rent, but I also see that they sell these smaller rotary hammers, which can be set for hammer-only mode and supposedly will work well for "small jobs".

So my question - any suggestions on the best and fastest way to tear out the old floor?

Advertisement

trekkaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

This is what I've used for years.
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-11255VSR.../dp/B000BB79Q6
I use a wide blade with a raised spot in the middle of the blade so it lifts and splits the tiles.
To cut the steel I use a 4-1/2 grinder with a diamond blade.

Look at the bottom of the listing on Amazon and read the reviews from people that own the tool.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
trekkaround (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Newbie with a hammer

That's really good to know, I had been wondering if the rotary drill would handle something like this instead of specific demo hammer. Glad to know that I can use one for this.

I'm looking at a Makita set - 11/16 rotary hammer that comes with a 4-1/2 angle grinder. Probably lighter duty than the 1" Bosch but for the limited amount I expect to use this, I'm thinking it's probably a better option at $199.

Can you clarify you cut the mesh with the grinder? I presume that you break off the tiles first, and then cut a grid into the thin-set before taking the hammer to it again?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,214

Joes suggestion is good-----that (or its big brother) is what the pros use ----works well---

Some tiles you get lucky and find a 1/4" underlayment under the whole mess--then a couple of flat bars will be the tool of choice.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Newbie with a hammer

I picked up the Bosch Bulldog, but the 7/8" model, seemed to be a better choice than the Makita. Have to go pick up a scale chisel this week to try it out. Not sure if there's any underlay, based on how they built these pop-up houses back in the 80's and from what I've seen elsewhere in the house, I have to assume they did what was quickest and easiest. So probably just the subfloor and flooring material on top.