Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #1

Share |

Tile blacksplash in tight space

I have a free standing stove (range/oven combo) that is in a corner of my kitchen. On the left side is my granite countertop and on the right side is a wall that is only ~2 feet wide and comes out the same depth as the stove and countertops.

I want to do a tile backsplash in my kitchen and run the tile both behind the stove and on that small wall to the right of the stove. My problem is that there is absolutely no room between the stove and the drywall on the right wall where I could put tile (I even had to remove a wall plate to slide my stove in place). If I tile on that small wall I would not be able to push my stove back in place because it would run into the tile.

Other than shortening the granite countertop on the left side of the stove (maybe if I complain to my granite guy he will cut it for free) is there another solution?

What do you guys think about removing the drywall where the tile will go and using 1/4" cement board with a thin layer of thin set (<1/8") to give me some extra space for the tiles? Then I would just caulk the gaps between the tile and the drywall. Of course I will try to select the thinnest tiles I can find, but they will probably end up being 5mm-8mm thick (~1/4"). Essentially I would try to have the tile be flush with the drywall or as close to flush as possible so I can squeeze my stove in place.

Another solution (assuming the wall on the right is not load bearing, which is probably the case since it is such a short wall) is to notch out (~1/2") the studs where my tile will go (only 2' by 1' area) to give me some extra space to fit 1/2" cement board and tile.

My final option is to just not tile the wall on the right, but as it is next to the stove it would make cleanup a bit easier and make the kitchen look more finished.

EBaller55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Not my area of expertise, but I don't see why you couldn't notch the studs and install your backer. If glued and fastened properly, it would take care of any "deflection" issues that may cause your tile to crack. Shouldn't be any different than installing on top of the stud.....

Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Remodeler

Call your stone man he can cut the counter much easier than your other choices. A bit messy but if he uses a vac the dust will be minimal. Done in an hour or 2
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backer board, backsplash, kitchen, tile