Threshold On My New Sliding Door Is 3" Higher After New Slider Was Installed - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

threshold on my new sliding door is 3" higher After New Slider Was Installed

Our contractor just installed a sliding door on the back of our house, through our kitchen to a deck (we have not yet built). He had to install a frame for the door on top of the existing floor because the baseboards and support beams had rotted out underneath. Essentially, there is a 3inch height difference between our kitchen floor and the top of the door sill. We still need to install a floor in our kitchen, which could eventually make the difference less cumbersome, but what can I do about this to help insure that no one falls out onto our deck in the future because they miss the 3inch height difference?! I thought about slanting the new floor throught the 20 foot room from the sliding door to the doorway that comes into the kitchen from the living room, but I know that would be pretty drastic and noticeable. Please refrain from telling me how this wasn't the right way to build the door. What's done is done. I need to figure out a way to make due with what I have and come up with a design that works. cat

Advertisement

catloew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

post a picture

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 746

Let me guess, there's a deck, stoop, porch built even with the threshold on the outside of that door. 100% sure way to rot out a floor.
Did they at least set the new door in a jamb sill or add flashing under it that runs down under the siding?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

did he replace any of the rotted beams? doesn't sound like he did. photos would be a great help. slanting the floor would look horrible. can you raise the whole floor up so it's level with the door? so if it's done wrong you don't want to know? you would rather leave something there that is probably not to building code and just deal with it. instead of spending money trying to make it work make the contractor come back and do it correctly.

Last edited by DannyT; 09-30-2012 at 03:20 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Doesn't sound like he repaired it right. He should have been able to repair the areas under the door and keep the height the same.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

The door should be up off the deck anyways, to prevent water penetration. If the deck isn't built yet i'm not sure what the big deal is, just keep the height of the door in mind when building the deck. As for the inside, 3 inches minus the flooring doesn't sound bad. Pics would help however, especially if you can see what he built it over- IE was the rot replaced.

The slider in my place sits on a concrete curb (trimmed out) however there is probably close to six inches between the tile and the door sill, and has never been as issue. As well the door sits a few inches above the patio outside, which is proper. Never been a trip hazard.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloew View Post
Our contractor just installed a sliding door on the back of our house, through our kitchen to a deck (we have not yet built). He had to install a frame for the door on top of the existing floor because the baseboards and support beams had rotted out underneath. Essentially, there is a 3inch height difference between our kitchen floor and the top of the door sill. We still need to install a floor in our kitchen, which could eventually make the difference less cumbersome, but what can I do about this to help insure that no one falls out onto our deck in the future because they miss the 3inch height difference?! I thought about slanting the new floor throught the 20 foot room from the sliding door to the doorway that comes into the kitchen from the living room, but I know that would be pretty drastic and noticeable. Please refrain from telling me how this wasn't the right way to build the door. What's done is done. I need to figure out a way to make due with what I have and come up with a design that works. cat
Re adjusting a floor system to fit an improperly installed door is going to be a larger project than just fixing the door and since you are installing a new floor you will have to deal with the rotten floor under the door anyway.
Fix floor, install door, in that order.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for all the feedback. It seems like a lot of work to re-install the door. The contractor did get rid of the dry rot, then put a couple two by fours down to make sure that the door was resting on something that would support it's weight. The deck has not yet been built, nor has the floor in the kitchen been replaced. There is only subfloor there now.
Attached Thumbnails
threshold on my new sliding door is 3" higher After New Slider Was Installed-photo.jpg  
catloew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,030

can you get another shot a little further back?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 746

That's just not right.
The threshold should have been installed sitting flat on the subflooring.
How do you plan on supporting the outside of the sill sitting like that?
It also needed a sill pan or at least flashing under the door, and up the side walls and down the outside wall to prevent water damage.

http://inspectapedia.com/BestPractic..._Exterior3.htm

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote