Thoughts On Asbestos - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Thoughts on asbestos

Hi,

Was wondering if at all possible for Kitchen Counter Tile in a home built in 1986 would contain asbestos? We have started removing ourselves but was a little worried about this? Was concerned also about the paper (pictured) which has two layers with some black mastis stuff in between?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.. Hopefully Im just over worrying... Pictues below. Thanks!!

Advertisement

wateron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #2

Thoughts on asbestos

wow.. 23 people have viewed this thread and no one is saying anything.. Ah Oh.. Any thoughts from experienced people on this matter would be GREATLY apreciated.. Of course I would not hold anyone responsible for anything said- just want to know if I should worry at all with a home built in 1986 possibly containing espestos in the Counter Tiles pictured?? Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by wateron1; 09-20-2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Mispelled word
Old 09-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Thoughts on asbestos

I'd just take it to a lab. In my area asbestos testing can be done in a couple of hours for less than 50 bucks.
b_corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Thoughts on asbestos

As far as I know there is no way of telling just by looking at it. However, does it make any difference at this point? If there was it's all over your kitchen by now. I am not trying to alarm you, just telling it like it is. Asbestos removal is an involved process normally done by the pros that have the right equipment and knowledge. I'm sure I have removed plenty of asbestos in my earlier years as well as most of the older guys on this forum, back in the 50's, 60's and 70's no one knew any better. To my knowledge not many clay or ceramic tiles were made with asbestos, some black mastics were though. As b corwin says the only way of knowing for sure is have it tested.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Thoughts on asbestos

It is true that the only sure fire way to know is by having a lab test the stuff, but, by 1986, hardly any of these types of products still used asbestos. Most asbestos used in construction products was dropped by 1982. Suppliers were allowed to sell whatever products they still had on the shelf until it was gone. Only a handful of very specialized products still used it. Some of those still use it today, but you are not likely to encounter it in home construction and even more rarely in a situation where fibers can become airborne. In all of my years of dealing with asbestos (20 yrs), I have never encountered it in a situation like you have. As a general rule, things constructed after 1982 are likely to be asbestos free.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #6

Thoughts on asbestos

Thanks everyone.. Yeah, that what was worrying me as I read suppliers could still use the stuff after the Manufacturer ban--BUT I would think by '86 they would have virtually run dry on the stuff.. Think it was that paper that had me wondering as it had the black glue but maybe there is other mastic type stuff that is black?? Anyway, if there is any in there it's too late now as we broke it up.. I do have a big Hepa Air Cleaner running so hopefully this will get anything in the air.. Seems you cant turn around these days without something causing cancer or being unhealthy. Julie
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Thoughts on asbestos

If you want, I can dig up an phone number/email for a local company I sent out samples for asbestos testing in PA. It's $10/sample. I sent out 5 via USPS with a M/O and they emailed me a pdf after a few days.

Advertisement

HautingLu is offline   Reply With Quote