Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is there siding under that siding?

Since I moved into my house last year, I have discovered the woman who owned it before me was a master (mistress?) of the "If I can't see it, it's fixed," solution to home repair problems.
I am a woman myself, so no wisecracks, okay, guys?

I want to take care of this place. It is 50 years old this year, and it is a good solid little mid century house. I want it to last for another 50 years.
Sometime within the last 15 years, the dingbat installed vinyl siding, but I am beginning to wonder if she had the old wood siding removed first, or if she just did it the cheap and stupid way, and had them put the vinyl over it.None of the neighbors seem to remember. She wallpapered over perfectly good wallpaper, and painted the interior walls with cheap paint that isn't even sticking, so heaven only knows.
Is there some way I can tell without damaging the siding? Or am I better off leaving well enough alone?

Cookieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,020

If there was insulation in the walls, the old siding was not rotten and the wiring was up to date then there was no reason to remove the old siding.
It's done all the time.
It would have tripled the price to side it at least, due to all the labor involved.
If you remove the siding your just gong to go back over it again with wood anyway so why remove it?
It's simple enough to check it just find a seam and unlock it and lift it up a little and look.
To but it back on most often just use the palm of your hand and work it down the face of the siding.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forums!

Just remove a piece (12') of it to inspect. Use a "zip" siding tool, Google it.

I make my own when I lose one out of some seismic strapping. There are videos on removing also....Possibly some 1/4" "fanfold" foam sheathing on the original siding to level it to look better. You may find some original wood lap siding in good condition as many went to vinyl for the no maintenance issue-- what a joke, live and learn.LOL.

Gary
Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,190

Quote:
If there was insulation in the walls, the old siding was not rotten and the wiring was up to date then there was no reason to remove the old siding. It's done all the time.
Just because the lap siding isn’t rotted doesn’t mean there isn’t rot behind it. The only real benefit to not removing the old lap siding is to keep the lid on the potential can of worms.

Quote:
It would have tripled the price to side it at least, due to all the labor involved.
Triple price??? That’s quite the up-charge for siding removal. Even with rot issues I can’t ever remember any siding jobs I’ve done where the final price ended up to be three times the base price.

Quote:
If you remove the siding your just gong to go back over it again with wood anyway so why remove it?
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
many went to vinyl for the no maintenance issue-- what a joke, live and learn.LOL.

Isn't that the truth.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #5

Removing the crummy plastic siding is an *excellent* idea. Vinyl siding can ultimately destroy an old house, because moisture - trying to migrate out of the house - gets trapped in the walls and can eventually rot out the studding. Takes decades - but that's what can ultimately happen.

You might take a mirror (or a camera) and take a picture of the last piece of siding on the bottom - with your camera/mirror pointed up toward the sky. Sometimes, with such a view, you can figure out what's hiding under the substitute siding.

With that being said, the odds are TINY that they removed the wood siding before installing the new siding.

Rose Thornton

Last edited by rosethornva; 02-01-2012 at 07:49 AM.
rosethornva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,020

So your trying to say the millons of homes with vinyl siding are all going to fall down because of rotten studs just because there's vinyl siding on the walls. Not likly.
Unless it was installed wrong in the first place I've never once seen any form of damage inside or out in the walls under any vinyl siding.
I get to add windows, remove passage doors and replace with French doors in 100 plus year old houses all the time with vinyl siding over lap siding that has been on the house for 10 years or more and never once have seen any mold, stained or wet insulatiion.
If you think removing that old siding and have to go back over it with OSB and Tyvek is an easy fast job then I'd guess you have not had to do it before.
We have done a few of them when there was no insulation or the wiring needed to be up graded anyway and it was very labor intensive. One nail at a time for days.
Takes a lot longer to take it off then it took originally to put it up.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
So your trying to say the millons of homes with vinyl siding are all going to fall down because of rotten studs just because there's vinyl siding on the walls.
I'm not saying that. I am saying that vinyl siding *can* damage wall studs and eventually cause rot, due to moisture being trapped in the walls.

And I am stating - definitively - that modern plastic sidings do NOT belong on older (pre-WW2) houses, not just because they're unattractive, but because they can - over a period of decades - wreak havoc.

Have you ever removed substitute sidings from an old house? I have, and what you find under there is a MESS. All manner of bugs and nests and mold and mildew and filth.

Old House Journal did an article 15 years ago (or so), and told the story of a family that had kids with all kinds of allergies. When they stripped off the substitute siding off their old house, they found all manner of filth (as described above).

Once the substitute siding was gone, the children's health problems disappeared, too.
rosethornva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,052

having vinyl siding on a house will not affect how the house takes the weather or effect rot.. its merely exterior cladding... if a house has problems with leaking it has to do with how the prep work was done.. properly installed house wrap, correctly installed windows and doors with correct flashings affect how the house handles storms.. not the siding. when our crew installs new siding on homes we completely strip off. we do it so we can see if there is any rot or things that need to be addressed before putting it back on. the house should be 100% storm proof before any siding even touches the wall.. everything after that is basically just lipstick and mascara as we say... it dresses it up

hate to say it rose, but the article you read by the sounds of things didnt give all the details. and based on your post you dont know much about exterior finish
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,190

Quote:
So your trying to say the millons of homes with vinyl siding are all going to fall down because of rotten studs just because there's vinyl siding on the walls.
I’m not sure who you’re talking too but I never said that.

Quote:
Not likly.
Unless it was installed wrong in the first place I've never once seen any form of damage inside or out in the walls under any vinyl siding.
I see more Vinyl installed wrong than right.

If you “never once seen any form of damage inside or out in the walls under any vinyl siding” then you must live in the desert.

Quote:
I get to add windows, remove passage doors and replace with French doors in 100 plus year old houses all the time with vinyl siding over lap siding that has been on the house for 10 years or more and never once have seen any mold, stained or wet insulatiion.
Back to the desert thing.

Quote:
If you think removing that old siding and have to go back over it with OSB and Tyvek is an easy fast job then I'd guess you have not had to do it before. We have done a few of them when there was no insulation or the wiring needed to be up graded anyway and it was very labor intensive. One nail at a time for days.
Takes a lot longer to take it off then it took originally to put it up.
Removing the Siding doesn’t mean you’re replacing the sheathing. As far as never doing it before I’ve tore off well over a hundred homes and other buildings over the years.

If you’re striping the siding off a house one nail at a time (you’re kidding right) then no T&M for you, on any of my jobs anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (02-01-2012)

Tags
home exterior, vinyl siding