Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #1

Share |

Texture to plaster

Sorry if this is not in the correct section. If it belongs somewhere else, please move it...Thank you!

My house is from the 1920's, and it has plaster walls and ceilings. The finish of the plaster is somewhat rough, meaning it is not a perfectly smooth finish. I had some major foundation work done a while back, and of course, I now have a lot of cracked plaster. I was wanting to try to simulate the texture that is already there, and was wondering if there had been sand added to the finish coat of plaster to obtain this look. Its nothing special, just a slight rough-ness to the feel. Maybe a better description would be "not as smooth as glass". Do you think that adding some sand to the finish plaster coat will be the trick?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Bofus

bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Texture to plaster

Without actually seeing the surface you are trying to describe, it's a little hard to suggest a proper answer. The only thing that I can suggest is that you try a "test" sample of what you want to duplicate. Get some scrap sheetrock and mix up some texture. If you geniunely think that there is sand added, try using "silica" sand in your mix. Add a little at a time. You can also water-down the texture mix to se if it help you get the texture consistency that you want. Then try different texture mixes and different texture applications on your scrap surface, before you do anything to the home's actual walls.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 AM   #3

Texture to plaster

Thank you for your input. I think I'll give it a try. I would post some photos, but since I can't download them from my computer on this site, and I haven't figured out how to do it with a URL number (computer idiot) there are no photos.

Thanks again!

Bofus
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote