Tearing Up Concrete - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

Tearing up concrete

My girlfriend's front walk needs some repair. The last section of her walk (that meets up with the concrete step to her front porch) has raised up and is a trip hazard. She called in a concrete contractor and they said the job was too small for them to do, so I'm looking at doing it myself.

I'll have to remove the section (it's about 2'-3') and step, fix the problem underneath (likely a water/drainage issue), and pour in new concrete. Any tricks or tips on how to tear out the old concrete without having to rent a jackhammer or get shards of concrete all over the place?

Advertisement

spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Tearing up concrete

If it's just a small area I usually use an 8# sledge hammer, pry bar, shovel, wheel barrow and the all important 6 pack.

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #3

Tearing up concrete

For a concrete job, do you recommend Samuel Adams? Or Killians?
Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Tearing up concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman spif View Post
For a concrete job, do you recommend Samuel Adams? Or Killians?
Are you serious?????????????

Both of course........ LOL

One other trick/tool would be to get your hands on a wood splitting wedge or 2 to separate big pieces fast.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #5

Tearing up concrete

If you don’t want to use a sledge hammer, then rent a concrete saw and cut up your concrete pad in moveable sections but you will still need a pry bar, shovel and a wheel barrel.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #6

Tearing up concrete

A hammer drill might be good to have as well. Drill a few holes to assist with the breaking up of the slab.

Oh, and an extra fridge to store the refreshments in...

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #7

Tearing up concrete

I do have a DeWalt 10 amp drill and some 5/8" masonry bits that might do the trick, and a pry bar...I still need a heavy mallet and a wedge. I'll need to figure out my bill. I'm thinking if it gets warm outside while I'm working on this I'll charge a 6 of Bud Light Limes. If it gets cool, Samuel Adams Octoberfest. Sound about right?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Coconut Pete's paella!

Tearing up concrete

Personally I prefer a light beer for projects involving a lot of manual labor, I'm a big fan of Miller Lite (say what you want, I'm a Vodka Snob but I like cheap domestic beer).

I'd look at this as the perfect opportunity to rent a jackhammer. You are not tempted at all? Not even a little bit?
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #9

Tearing up concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
Personally I prefer a light beer for projects involving a lot of manual labor, I'm a big fan of Miller Lite (say what you want, I'm a Vodka Snob but I like cheap domestic beer).

I'd look at this as the perfect opportunity to rent a jackhammer. You are not tempted at all? Not even a little bit?
Jackhammer...hmm....yeeaaahhh, that does lean towards the "cool" side! And it would give me an excuse to roll up the sleeves on my t-shirt in the hopes that the rapidly waddling rolls of fat on my arm look like rippling muscle from a distance while I'm doing it!

Did I mention I got a hammer drill this week? Oh dear Lord...I should have bought one years ago!!!! I've been drilling in concrete with my regular drill and masonry bits and it took 15 minutes to drill each hole. Now it's 15 seconds!!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Tearing up concrete

Well honestly there is no pretty way to break out existing concrete. A jackhammer is definitely a cool way to do it, and it makes it look like you know what you're doing... If nothing else, get familiar with a sledgehammer and a 1" or 2" cold chisel and get to work...

Advertisement

grantala is offline   Reply With Quote